Lost wireless/internet connection on Ubuntu PC + PC won't boot!

abingdon

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I have been using my 64-bit Ubuntu-driven PC for two years, but the last time I powered it up, I could get no internet connectivity. The software did see the access point (CenturyLink), but couldn't get out to the 'Net.

After shutting the PC down and checking for loose connections, I tried to power it back up, and it wouldn't boot!

To make the long story short, I removed the HD, placed it on another PC, and the PC booted immediately, so the problem isn't with the hard drive.

Here is a list of the equipment involved:

Hard Drive = WD3200AAKS
SATA/16MB Cache
"Caviar Blue"
Motherboard = Gigabyte GigabitLAN model, USB 2.0, VRD 11.1, 45nm 64-bit processor

OS = Ubuntu 12.10

Wireless Net Card = msi PC6OG 11g TurboG

Internet DSL modem = Actiontec C1000A

I swapped the PSU into another PC. When I tried to boot, all I heard was beeps in increments of three: beep-beep-beep, etc. I checked to see if the swapped PSU was securely connected to the motherboard. It was, so I rebooted. This time, the PC booted but then lost power after a few minutes.

I rebooted a third time, and the PC booted completely, but I couldn't get onto the Internet. My two laptops could see the Internet, however, so there is probably nothing wrong with the internet router.

The PC is currently still up and running, and I'm going to let it run for a few hours to see if it pings out again.

Roy

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Roy