Question Lot of programs/installers crash - lot of Werfault.exe

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Plus lot of other exe-faults: FileCoAuth, WDDMStatus, AliyunWrapExe, NVIDIA Web Helper, AISuite3, SearchProtocolHost, DipAwayMode, acrobat_sl, unins000, epm0, FXC_ProxyProcess)

Most programs crash. "Werfault,exe" and the other errors mentioned above, pop up for most programs.
Chrome and MS Office-programs (2010) runs without problems.
EaseUs ToDo backup, EaseUs Partition Master and Macrium Reflect and others sometimes work, but usually, crash.

Run as admin sometimes helps, but far from always.

I made a clean install of Win 10 a few days ago, on my M.2, this time with GPT support.
ASUS ROG Crosshair 7, AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 8-core, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Gforce GTX 1660 TI, 2 x 4TB HD's, 250 GB SSD.

Running system with only the M.2 connected, or with the HDs/SSD, makes no difference.

Run Emsisoft (Malware ++) in all kinds of modes, including custom (w/"everything"). I delete/quarantine the findings (mostly some "old viruses" within zip-archives)

Windows Defender found nothing after that.

Kaspersky Security Cloud Free - Installer crash immediately. Several tries, all as admin.
Trend Micro - Installer crash, at various stages. Several tries, all as admin.

Many sites offer help with Errfault.exe-problem. They offer alle the same advice:
(Like this one: https://thegeekpage.com/werfault-exe-application-error-in-windows-10/)

• SFC /scannow - "no integrity violations."
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic tool; No problems.
  • Disabled Windows Error Reporting Service; Problems persist (but obviously with no Errfault.exe-popup)
  • Display driver deactivated, then scan for changes - "Latest driver installed". I also downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA.

• System Mechanic "fixed" a lot of problems, but not the Errfault.exe and the program crashing.
  • CCleaner starts after several attempts - Made some tidying up...and a lot of registry-fixes.
The problem persist though.

- I now have installed an image of C (working MBR-version, 1 week old) to a HD so I can get files from that one, if it helps.
Trying to use EaseUs Todo PC-transfer, but it won't start...

I usually have fixed all my PC-problems since 1985, but this has been going on for 4-5 days now.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you attempting to overclock anything (GPU, CPU, memory)?

This will sound strange, but remove 32GB of your memory (I assume you have 4x16GB DIMMs). If OCing, revert to stock speeds. Does the system stabilize?

What is the make/model of your power supply (PSU)?

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
No overclocking. Using default values in UEFI BIOS.

I tried to remove one pair of RAM yesterday. No difference. ("Windows Memory Diagnostic tool; No problems".)

PSU is SFX PRO series, 850 watt.

P.s.
I'm going back to sleep... :)

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Did you use a new ISO? Make a new installer? Is win 10 fully up to date - did you run the updater?
I used RUFUS to make the installation-USB. It download the files needed. According to the MS community ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...tion-usb/bfdef191-066c-4bab-b65b-84f2d6e1e248 ) it is perfectly safe. It makes some tasks (with GPT?) much easier.

Yes, I update everything all the time, both now and as allways,

Bought Security Task Manager (full version) last evening. It didn't find anything worrying to repport.

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I have now had a clean install of Win10 for some days, but the problem persists. I rolled back the two main 1909-updates (windows), but it didn't help.
I have 4 x 16 GB RAM. Removed #1-2, then #3-4. No help. Several memory tests report that RAM is OK.

CCleaner, System Mechanic and Restore find a lot of "issues", and "fix" them. No help.

I also get a lot of "Access violation at address...in module.... read/write...".

Last edited:

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Tried a new M.2. No help.

Last chance, I think: Buy a new MB. probably this one: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, S-AM4 (much because I now have two M.2's, and I don't need Wi-Fi)

Last edited:

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
If you boot the system with a Live Linux distro (via USB drive, CD, or DVD), is the system stable?

This would appear to be a hardware issue, given the new install of Windows and the continued issues.

Sorry for very late reply.
Would your suggestion be of any help, as long as the system is 100% stable? (apart from all the crashing). The problem of installing/running programs is not a sign of an unstable OS, I assume..?

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Could it be build 1909 that is the culprit..? (Windows 10 Pro, 64)

Now everything is perfect, after another clean install. It wasn't straight forward, and I can't recall everything that was done. I used an image after the clean Windows install, but now I'm unsure how old that image was. Maybe older than 1909 (Nov. 2019)

Today I checked for Windows update, and see to my surprice that I now have build 1903 (may 2019), and build 1909 is ready for download. I paused Windows update immediately!

I have read a lot about 1909 these past few weeks, and the comments was not very positive.

But, I did get 1909 on all my previous clean installs, either as clean install, and installation of various programs, or from images (from July 2019 to march 2020).

Problem solved..?
I will make sure I have a image with 1903 before I update windows again...

ArnsteinB

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Two new MB* (6/1 months old) that slowly dies; What are the odds for that?

I will mark this as solved as soon as I have rebuilt PC and tested...

-------
Hi!

The item has been tested OK according to error message.

Result:
We found 2x motherboard errors and tested:
3x memory kit - ok
Video card 1660Ti - ok
AMD CPU - ok

We return the goods

Sincerely
Komplett
---------
*) Asus x470 ROG Hero VII wifi / Asus x570 Prime Pro

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Two new MB* (6/1 months old) that slowly dies; What are the odds for that?

I will mark this as solved as soon as I have rebuilt PC and tested...

-------
Hi!

The item has been tested OK according to error message.

Result:
We found 2x motherboard errors and tested:
3x memory kit - ok
Video card 1660Ti - ok
AMD CPU - ok

We return the goods

Sincerely
Komplett
---------
*) Asus x470 ROG Hero VII wifi / Asus x570 Prime Pro
That is rather unusual. Please keep us posted on the results.