LOTR Return of the King graphics problems

Hello,

I just installed this game (LOTR: Return of the King) on my computer.
At first it ran fine then after a while it would lock up, then
suddenly most of the textures would disappear, replaced with colours
lines etc, avatars (characters) would phase in and out, and it would
lock up every few second (and eventually have to hit the reset
button). My computer is a Dell Dimension 4100 P3 ~p933Mhz, GeForce
5200, 256MB RAM, tri OS (WinXP SP2, Win2k SP4, FC2). The error occurs
ONLY in WinXP, Windows 2000 run the game perfectly(relatively) fine. I
did driver update etc as well. After successfully making it out of the
game after one of its crashes in WinXP, I went to dxdiag and ran some
tests, and the Direct3d Texture has messed up textures UNTIL I turned
of AGP acceleration, I thought maybe this was the problem...but after
reboot, disable AGP and retry the game, it still did the same crash.
Does anybody have any idea what the problem would be? Since it runs
fine on win2k I would think its a problem with my winXP installation.
I just find it annoying that i'll hav eto switch Operating Systems
everytime I want to play a single game (I use WinXP primarily).

Thanks for any help (first time for me posting into groups stuff)

Will Porter

gseven

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004

"ShadowMeGa" <shadowmg@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just installed this game (LOTR: Return of the King) on my computer.
> At first it ran fine then after a while it would lock up, then
> suddenly most of the textures would disappear, replaced with colours
> lines etc, avatars (characters) would phase in and out, and it would
> lock up every few second (and eventually have to hit the reset
> button). My computer is a Dell Dimension 4100 P3 ~p933Mhz, GeForce
> 5200, 256MB RAM, tri OS (WinXP SP2, Win2k SP4, FC2). The error occurs
> ONLY in WinXP, Windows 2000 run the game perfectly(relatively) fine. I
> did driver update etc as well. After successfully making it out of the
> game after one of its crashes in WinXP, I went to dxdiag and ran some
> tests, and the Direct3d Texture has messed up textures UNTIL I turned
> of AGP acceleration, I thought maybe this was the problem...but after
> reboot, disable AGP and retry the game, it still did the same crash.
> Does anybody have any idea what the problem would be? Since it runs
> fine on win2k I would think its a problem with my winXP installation.
> I just find it annoying that i'll hav eto switch Operating Systems
> everytime I want to play a single game (I use WinXP primarily).
>
> Thanks for any help (first time for me posting into groups stuff)
>
> Will Porter

Sounds like you know what you are talking about. But, let's do a few
relatively obvious 'game' defect things...

Uninstall the game

Run defrag

Run scandisk

Turn off running applications -- Virus Scan, etc.

Reinstall the game

I'm betting that you simply had a bad initial install.

"ShadowMeGa" <shadowmg@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just installed this game (LOTR: Return of the King) on my computer.
> At first it ran fine then after a while it would lock up, then
> suddenly most of the textures would disappear, replaced with colours
> lines etc, avatars (characters) would phase in and out, and it would
> lock up every few second (and eventually have to hit the reset
> button). My computer is a Dell Dimension 4100 P3 ~p933Mhz, GeForce
> 5200, 256MB RAM, tri OS (WinXP SP2, Win2k SP4, FC2). The error occurs
> ONLY in WinXP, Windows 2000 run the game perfectly(relatively) fine. I
> did driver update etc as well. After successfully making it out of the
> game after one of its crashes in WinXP, I went to dxdiag and ran some
> tests, and the Direct3d Texture has messed up textures UNTIL I turned
> of AGP acceleration, I thought maybe this was the problem...but after
> reboot, disable AGP and retry the game, it still did the same crash.
> Does anybody have any idea what the problem would be? Since it runs
> fine on win2k I would think its a problem with my winXP installation.
> I just find it annoying that i'll hav eto switch Operating Systems
> everytime I want to play a single game (I use WinXP primarily).
>
> Thanks for any help (first time for me posting into groups stuff)
>
> Will Porter

did you install it in XP too, or are you just running it from the 2k install
directory? If so, try installing it in XP as well.

Also, probably not related, but I would recommend you double your system
RAM.

"Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> wrote in message news:<ZaidneeN8OE8r6HfRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...
> "ShadowMeGa" <shadowmg@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just installed this game (LOTR: Return of the King) on my computer.
> > At first it ran fine then after a while it would lock up, then
> > suddenly most of the textures would disappear, replaced with colours
> > lines etc, avatars (characters) would phase in and out, and it would
> > lock up every few second (and eventually have to hit the reset
> > button). My computer is a Dell Dimension 4100 P3 ~p933Mhz, GeForce
> > 5200, 256MB RAM, tri OS (WinXP SP2, Win2k SP4, FC2). The error occurs
> > ONLY in WinXP, Windows 2000 run the game perfectly(relatively) fine. I
> > did driver update etc as well. After successfully making it out of the
> > game after one of its crashes in WinXP, I went to dxdiag and ran some
> > tests, and the Direct3d Texture has messed up textures UNTIL I turned
> > of AGP acceleration, I thought maybe this was the problem...but after
> > reboot, disable AGP and retry the game, it still did the same crash.
> > Does anybody have any idea what the problem would be? Since it runs
> > fine on win2k I would think its a problem with my winXP installation.
> > I just find it annoying that i'll hav eto switch Operating Systems
> > everytime I want to play a single game (I use WinXP primarily).
> >
> > Thanks for any help (first time for me posting into groups stuff)
> >
> > Will Porter
>
> did you install it in XP too, or are you just running it from the 2k install
> directory? If so, try installing it in XP as well.
>
> Also, probably not related, but I would recommend you double your system
> RAM.

Both run from the winXP install. However I just discovered after a
defrag, before reinstall LOTR i decided to play WC3...after about an
hour during one of the between mission talks, the computer
lagged...froze for 3 seconds, and the graphical glitch appeared in
that game as well, so I'm thinking it might be winXP that has the
problem in it. Getting more RAM would be good...although I dunno if
that'll fix the problem...I might just switch back to using win2K
mostly, cause I only went to winXP to use the movie maker for a short
while, and the "look".