Lots of advertisement on Toms's site only when browsing using Chrome

Nayemur

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
Please have a look at the image:

5QfgPsb.png

This is what I see when browsing Toms from Chrome. I do not see these advertisement on other browsers. And in Chrome, I do not see this kinda floating ad on other websites.
I have checked chrome extensions, there's nothing fishy. Tried reinstalling chrome, after complere removal, still same!
Is these ad normal on chrome?

Solution
These are ads we serve, yes. Unfortunately, I don't really have an explanation as to why you aren't seeing them in other browsers or while in incognito mode.

I notice that you are seeing this while browsing the forums; what some people might not know is that we actually offer our users the chance to browse the forums completely ad-free. Once you have obtained 5 Best Answers on the forum, all advertising is removed. It's our little way of showing appreciation for users who take the time to help out others in the community :)

(Note that this does not apply to the editorial parts of the site, ie the articles and reviews. This applies only to the forum aspects.)

Ads are the problem, blocking is the solution. I mean we do want to support their income but I will not suffer obtrusive, potentially malware laden ads. I'm always willing to actually pay for a service but it's not optioned here.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
These are ads we serve, yes. Unfortunately, I don't really have an explanation as to why you aren't seeing them in other browsers or while in incognito mode.

I notice that you are seeing this while browsing the forums; what some people might not know is that we actually offer our users the chance to browse the forums completely ad-free. Once you have obtained 5 Best Answers on the forum, all advertising is removed. It's our little way of showing appreciation for users who take the time to help out others in the community :)

(Note that this does not apply to the editorial parts of the site, ie the articles and reviews. This applies only to the forum aspects.)

Solution

Nayemur

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

Thanks for clarifying. This is what I wanted to hear. I was wondering if this was a problem on my end. Seems not.

I have hundreds of solutions marked on the site, but still see this rubbish on the main page. The floating adds hide half the form feed.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

If by "main page" you are referring to www.tomshardware.com, then that is intentional. That is not part of the forum, and is not meant to be ad-free.

If you're seeing this on the forums themselves, please provide a screenshot of it and we'll look into it further.

Yes, that is the main page.
It is also the only place to view recently posted items on the forum.
If the advert was inline with content we could at least just scroll down, but instead the feed is hidden making it unusable.
This is just really poor design.
Alternatively, the left and right quarter of the screen are completely unused with the current page design and you can jam as much advertising as you like in there I guess.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
It is also the only place to view recently posted items on the forum.

It's not.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/all.html

Or alternatively, the big "See All Threads" button at the top of the main forum page.

the left and right quarter of the screen are completely unused with the current page design

That's ad space, which is not always in use because we place frequency caps on those ads, since they are rather large.

If the advert was inline with content we could at least just scroll down, but instead the feed is hidden making it unusable.

This was a bug, caused by adblockers. Recent updates to a few adblockers broke some of the CSS elements on our page. This was more or less out of our control, though I'm told we've already taken steps to correct this and it should no longer be an issue.

The view all threads page is different. It sorts on most recently updated rather than when the original post was made. It means the noisy threads with many replies appear at the top and the real questions that haven't been answered quickly are not visible.
Anyway yes, the issue seems to be resolved now.

A single response will take a post from that list, less than three replies and not solved would be closer to what I am looking for.
Rather than just filtering, it would be good if the sort order could be changed too.