Lots of crashes after cloning SSD

AlexLushiku

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
TL;DR After cloning my SSD a lot of programs on my PC are crashing and I don't know what could be the cause. (besides the cloning)

So I recently bought a new 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD since my 250GB 850 EVO was becoming full. I installed the drive (physically), boot up my PC and saw that it didn't recognize it in File Explorer but it was recognized in both Device Manager and Disk Management. So I followed a tutorial and create a new volume for my new SSD so it was recognize.

After I did this I cloning with some random program, but it failed for some reason so I tried some things like chkdsk and reboot and tried it again using Samsung Magician and it somehow worked now. So after some time it finally finished, so I formatted my old SSD which is now unsurprisingly empty.

Only to find out that half my programs are crashing on launch or close after launch. Google Chrome randomly crashed after some time, so I tried reinstalling (new version) and it did kind of fix the problem, but it still does crash very few times. When I tried to open After Effects I got a lot of random error messages and after a reinstall it did open, but now I get errors when I apply an effect in AE after which my screen will go black and I have to reboot. (I think). The most annoying thing might even be that I'm unable to play any game (Steam, Origin, Uplay) as it will crash instantly - a minute after launch.

I haven't really tried my best to find a solution yet, but I'm kind of busy now so I thought I'd ask on this forum first, but does anyone know what even could be the problem. It might be worth noting that my old SSD switched from C: to G:, my new SSD is now my C-drive and my games are on my D-drive which hasn't changed. Another thing is that I had a empty partition of my D-drive that I merged back with the main partition.

So does anyone have an idea what's wrong here? If you need any more info just ask me.

Since the clone was botched somehow, I'd back up any valuable photos to an external drive of some type, gather your required MB/chipset/GPU drivers, download/create new Win10 install media (preferably on USB) from MS, then delete your partitions, and reinstall everything from scratch....

Based on all your stuff crashing at launch, that's where I'd start....fresh!

AlexLushiku

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016

That's my last resort hahah. I'll try if nothing works.

USAFRet

Titan
It seems you have an issue with drive letters getting switched around. This is what's causing the application fails.

Can you return the system to original working condition?
If so, please share a screencap of the Disk Management window, and tell us what is on each drive or partition.

Per the OP: "..So after some time it finally finished, so I formatted my old SSD which is now unsurprisingly empty."
:)

USAFRet

Titan

Oh well...:no:

AlexLushiku

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016

Would be weird, since the applications that were on my C: Drive are still on my C: Drive, just another physical drive. The games on my D: Drive are still on the same drive.