[SOLVED] Lots of dilemma with a Ryzen build! HELP!

libykim

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Ryzen 3700X
GTX 2070 Super
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
NZXT H510
EVGA 750 GQ 80PLUS GOLD
Samsung DDR4 32G (16x2) (2666MHz)
EVO 860 1TB (from my previous system)

Okay, so that is my build for a gaming, streaming, graphic design and video editing (illustrator, after effects, premiere).

Dilemma 1: RAM
I read that Ryzen makes good use of fast memory. But they are expensive. Where I live, 32GB of 3200MHz costs $200, while the 2666MHz costs $100.
Do you think this worth it? Or is it better spend somewhere else?

Dilemma 2: Aftermarket CPU cooler
I am not going to overclock. But I am going to stream, render, edit everyday the whole day. I heard the stock cooler runs pretty loud under load. I was thinking an aftermarket cooler would keep it quite and increase the longevity of the CPU by running it a few degrees cooler. I like the NZXT case, so I feel like pairing it up with the Kraken x62. But it also feels like a lot of money for a 3700X (that won't even be OCed). I'm not opposed to air cooling, but those Dark Rock Pro 4 seem to take up the whole space which really takes away the point of these cases that display the inside (unless you like the look of the DRP4). I also feel like dusting the system out every once in a while should be easier with the AIO. However, I'm still willing to be persuaded to air coolers, or even the stock cooler, if Kraken x62 is too much of an overkill for this build and my use. After all, going stock over the AIO will save me almost enough money to upgrade to the 3900X.

Dilemma 3: Mainboard
Since I'm getting a case to show off the inside, I went with the X570 over the B450. Plus the better VRMs and more USB ports. But again it is the cost. X570 is around $230, B450 is around $100. And I don't need the PCIe 4.0 nor the SLI feature. And I don't even know what the fans on the X570 do.

Dilemma 4: PSU
Should I go with 650W? Is the 750 too much?

Dilemma 5: GPU
Rumor has it that the Nvidia Ampere (3000 series) will be coming in the first half (or even the first quarter) of 2020. I was thinking of using my 1060 for a while and buy the GPU later on when the 3000 series comes out. Do you think it is a good plan?

That's pretty much it.
I guess it comes down to, do I want a nice computer to look at, or a fast computer. But I'd really like to hear your opinions because I am so undecided right now.

Last edited:
Solution
Dilemma 1: Yikes, that's a huge price jump for a 20-30% performance difference. Not worth it, IMO.

Dilemma 2:
-A Kraken X62 is a lot -$$$ - for simply wanting a quieter cooler.
-For the 3600 and 3700, the stock cooler performs 'just fine'; aftermarket coolers are optional. Past that, and they're not just optional anymore...
-You could make do with a Cooler Master 212 Evo, be quiet! Dark Rock 4(non Pro), or the new Chromax Black NH-U12S.
-As long as you're cleaning the PC out every so often, then that's fine. A few times a year - whatever you feel comfortable with; I do mine like once a month - every other month.
Don't wait over a year, or until you run into issues, to start cleaning like some lazy folks do.

Dilemma 3: I'm not going to...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Dilemma 1: Yikes, that's a huge price jump for a 20-30% performance difference. Not worth it, IMO.

Dilemma 2:
-A Kraken X62 is a lot -$$$ - for simply wanting a quieter cooler.
-For the 3600 and 3700, the stock cooler performs 'just fine'; aftermarket coolers are optional. Past that, and they're not just optional anymore...
-You could make do with a Cooler Master 212 Evo, be quiet! Dark Rock 4(non Pro), or the new Chromax Black NH-U12S.
-As long as you're cleaning the PC out every so often, then that's fine. A few times a year - whatever you feel comfortable with; I do mine like once a month - every other month.
Don't wait over a year, or until you run into issues, to start cleaning like some lazy folks do.

Dilemma 3: I'm not going to be of much help here...
-Motherboards are about feature set. Get the one with the features you want - don't overthink it, or you'll get hung up on it for the longest time...
-If you don't really care about extra features, the Mini-ITX boards are probably the best option, as they tend to be the least feature-rich = cheaper.
-That small fan is for keeping the chipset cool.

Dilemma 4: A good quality 650w is more than enough for that system.

Dilemma 5:That's going to require anyone who isn't an engineer for Nvidia to take out their crystal ball in order to answer.
Wait and see for performance benchmarks like everyone else... Intel will be joining the scene as well - maybe they'll actually give Nvidia a run for their money.

Solution

libykim

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

Wow, isn't 20~30% a big difference though? I'm actually surprised it's that much.

Anyway thank you so much for the detailed reply. I'll have to make some adjustments now referencing on your advice. :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, isn't 20~30% a big difference though? I'm actually surprised it's that much.

Anyway thank you so much for the detailed reply. I'll have to make some adjustments now referencing on your advice. :)
Sorry. That's a worst case scenario. It's going to vary some depending on the applications.
The ideal range is 3200-3600mhz. Most people shopping for a Ryzen processor isn't told, or isn't going to know about Ryzen's sensitivity to ram speed, so when they're trying to get value ram for their new cpu, odds of them snatching up slower, cheaper memory is high.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock
That article gets real technical with it.
For simple plug and play, 3200-3600mhz.