Question Lots of new crashing on GTX 1080 laptop

Mar 17, 2020
hi all, I hope someone here can help. I'm novice with tech so please be patient with me.

I have a laptop with following specs, 3 years old, now out of warranty:
Schenker DTR 17 (clevo P7xxDM3(-G))
i7-7700k@4.20
64gb RAM
GTX1080
2x PCIe SSDs (RAID1 - OS drive)
2x SATA SSDs (RAID1 - storage)

All has been working fine until recently - I decided to update drivers and play Black Mesa now it's at v1. I got past the initial monorail intro and then it hung with audio loop. Machine had to be reset. Now every 3D application will CTD and games either hang/freeze on menu with normal music or audio loop, or simply CTD. No errors, warnings, artefacts, BSODS...only hang or CTD. Temps remain under 75 as far as I can tell.

I have tried some tests such as Furmark or OC SCANNER, both of which CTD without errors/warnings whenever any GPU test is done, either immediately or after 1 second.

I have done the 'reset windows' option of semi-fresh install and also tried DDU to clean the intel and nvidia drivers and trying an old nvidia driver that I know has worked fine in the past. Still no dice.

I really hope it's not dead GPU but tricky to test for that specifically. I ran a basic CUDA memtest on OCCT (v3.1.0) no errors came back...but I've no idea how thorough that is? Like i say I'm very novice and just being guided by google search right now.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020
Do you have any old restore points from before upgrading the gfx drivers?
Unfortunately not. I might have done before, but being the fool I am... I did the 'reset' windows thing before thinking of that, so now only have restore points from that 'reset' yesterday.