Lots of PC Stuttering especially in games

k.norberg97

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
So, I have noticed a lot more stuttering recently and it seemed to be happening after some friends tried migrating some files between my drives. I'm not sure what else got messed with, or simply, maybe a program on my computer isn't playing nicely with the new Windows update from February 14th. I tried several things. I monitored CPU usages, temps, and loads, and saw nothing unusual. I checked GPU usage in task manager when under load, checked GPU temps, visually inspected all my fans, checked the health of my RAM on boot through Windows, ran SMART Scans on my SSD, and all came back clean. Then launched MSI Afterburner and every time my frames dropped, My GPU Usage would dropped, as well as FB Usage. It's very consistent drops, happens 1-3 times every few seconds. I'll post a screenshot of my usages while I am playing.

xet2tJa.png

My specs are these:

OS: Windows 10 Home Edition, Version 1709, Build 16299.125 (Up to date)
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 2GB
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw Series 8GB (2x4GB dual channel)
SSD: Crucial BX200 240GB (Boot Drive, OS)

I started by reinstalling all my drivers and none of that worked, so I tried to do a System Restore, but Windows failed to do that, saying the Restore Point is missing or damaged. Next, I tried to do a version rollback for Windows, but that failed as well. Next, I tried uninstalling the most recent Windows update from version 1709 (The most recent KB4074588). I was going to uninstall updates 1 by 1 until the issue was fixed. To prevent Windows from automatically updating each time I restarted, I downloaded Windows Show or Hide Updates Troubleshooter Package to hide the updates (which was buggy for me, sometimes it wouldn't find any updates or even connect to Windows Update and Task Manager shows 0% usage anywhere for that tool while it was running, or sometimes it wouldn't even launch at all...)

The weird part was when I went to restart my computer, it hung saying that it couldn't close due to Windows Task Host, so I hit cancel, and it occurred to me to run some games. Everything ran flawlessly. My thoughts are that in the shutdown process, Windows closed a conflicting program, and when I aborted the shutdown, since it was didn't reopen, everything ran smoothly.

My question is now, how do I proceed from here? Is there a way to compare what is open before a shutdown to everything that is left open up until right before shutdown?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much!

Solution
Maybe you can try to disable Gaming options to see if your games will still keep stuttering. As after the Creators Update, the newly added Gaming options turn out to be conflicted with some programs. So just go to Start > Setting > Gaming > Gaming Xbox > Disable.

k.norberg97

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

CSGO, Overwatch, PUBG

They used to all run fine at Medium settings, but I even tried turning the settings all down to Low and that didn't fix anything.

k.norberg97

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

What is the easiest way to go about this? I've seen the 'Reset PC' Option when booting into the troubleshooter, would that work?

I got this copy of Windows by updating from Windows 7 using the Accessibility upgrade promo Windows offered, what's the easiest way to reinstall directly to Windows 10 without a CD?

k.norberg97

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

Well what about the 'Reset this PC' option under Recovery in Windows 10? Would that be sufficient?

janeb3918

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
Maybe you can try to disable Gaming options to see if your games will still keep stuttering. As after the Creators Update, the newly added Gaming options turn out to be conflicted with some programs. So just go to Start > Setting > Gaming > Gaming Xbox > Disable.

Solution