Lots of problems booting with PC

akillj

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
So i've been having a lot of problems with my PC recently, not sure if they're all related, though I could use some help.

I got a PC that I built, running Windows 7.

- AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz
- Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 64MB
- CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W
- SAPPHIRE 100354OC-2L Radeon HD 7870
- G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
- ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0

Basically here's my problems: When I boot for the first time in the morning, it will hang on "Loading windows...". I have to manually reset the PC, and it loads perfectly the second time. Sometimes my PC will freeze just after I log in and it starts booting up my startup programs. This does not happen every time, just sometimes. After ignoring the issue for a while it got worse, I could no longer boot my PC as it would always freeze during the first few seconds of starting my startup programs (after logging in).

I gave up and installed Windows 7 again, I just installed it and told it to put all my old files in a Windows.old. (Did not reformat). I had sensitive data that I couldn't lose.

Anyway, the same problems are happening again. I ran a diskcheck through command prompt and it said the disk wasn't dirty. What do I do?

akillj

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Sorry I marked your answer as a solution as it worked when I rebooted my pc, but this morning when I started it up, it hung there again and I had to manually reset it.

Usually a problem like this is caused when the BIOS is corrupted . On the second try it uses the back up "dual BIOS " and everything goes normally .

This is why I suggested a BIOS update would fix it . Assuming you have run and installed the latest BIOS version available , and it still has some problems

try
1/ clearing the BIOS . If there is no button on the mb then you will have to remove the battery from the mb [ disconnect from the power first ]
Leave the battery out for 5 - 10 minutes .

2/ the SATA cable from the hard drive should be in the lowest numbered SATA port . Usually port 0 , but it may be port 1 on an ASUS board .

3/ put the CMOS/BIOS battery back in and start and enter BIOS . Check the hard drive is listed , and that it is set to be the first boot device .

4/ if the problem keeps happening then check the power supply fans run when you press the power button and try to boot

akillj

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Thanks for the help so far, once again I did everything and it worked on the first boot, but this morning it hung there again. Had to manually reset.

I have no idea what the actual fault might be .
But the behavior of the pc suggests a fairly narrow range of faults now that we have eliminated a faulty BIOS .

If you can borrow another psu and try booting with it you would know .
Does the PC always wake up from sleep?

akillj

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Is there any chance it could be a RAM issue? This morning I was really having trouble getting it to boot, and I noticed the 24-pin connector on my mobo wasn't fully clipped in. It wasn't sticking out, but it wasn't clipped fully. I pushed it in, heard the click, and it still didn't boot. So I took my RAM out (Hard to remove the 24 pin with the RAM in), removed the 24 pin, blew on it to enure no dust, and plugged it back in with only 1 stick of RAM this time. It booted. I have had issues before with my PC not booting and re-seating the RAM would work, but the symptoms are different than that time. Any chance this is a RAM issue?