Piegoose

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Motherboard: Asrock z370 Killer SLI/ac

CPU: Intel i5-8400

PSU: Corsair CX600 (600W)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

GPU: Gigabyte AORUS RX 580 8GB

Drive: Seagate 4TB IronWolf NAS SATA 6Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache (ST4000VN008)

Hi, so I'm trying to get my Windows 7 in UEFI mode after realizing I still had it in legacy mode. This is a new build I'm working on so there's no worry of losing files.

I want UEFI because I have a 4TB drive, and also because it appears my RX 580 GPU won't work otherwise (based from other threads online).

So, right now I'm on a fresh installer screen and got to the drive partition "Where do you want to install Windows" section. I reformated and deleted all partitions, started a new one, opened "diskpart" in command where I did "clean" and "convert GPT" for the only SATA drive inserted labeled as "Drive 0". Now it is split in 3 partitions: Partition 1 System 100Mb , Partition 2 Primary 2047.9Gb (says that but it must mean Mb) , with a third partition of unallocated space with 1678.0Gb (Mb). I tried the "extend" option on Partition 2 Primary, but it just combines everything in a single large unallocated space. Clicking "new" again returns things as they were, but when I try selecting "new" again on the seperate 1678.0Gb (Mb) unallocated space, it says "Failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space [Error: 0x80042468]".

I'm looking into it still, but quite at a loss of what to do. I did read up somewhere that on my Windows 7 64bit OS, under the "type column" if it says "Primary" and not "MBR", then at least the partial bit of my drive will boot up in GPT/UEFI mode.

But, to reiterate, the reason I'm doing this is mostly to satisfy the GPU from what I read up. If you have any details on that, I'd appreciate it. With the GPU inserted before, when it seemed I was in legacy mode based on this ( https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/136345d1495570285t-check-if-windows-10-using-uefi-legacy-bios-uefi_disk_management.png?s=6988b5c4975da638d753c7194ebbcf15 - mine didn't have "EFI" ), the bios wouldn't even boot up. Without the GPU I had no trouble getting to bios and functioning desktop.

Piegoose

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
So, based on the 0x80042468 error, I went back to "diskpart" in command prompt and entered "list disk" to see the drive is still not marked as GPT as is shown here - https://sawinternal.blob.core.windows.net/gds-images/support/kbgraphics/public/en-us/windows%207/2604034/figure3.png . Mine has no asterisk under GPT, even though I entered "convert GPT". This makes me believe the computer thinks my motherboard isn't UEFI compatible, but I'd imagine it is since it's still a best-seller on Newegg.