Question Lots of warnings and errors showing up in event log, random crashing (clean install of windows 10)

Gibbyness

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
So I recently went through some GPU issues, where my GPU ended up failing completely. Prior to diagnosing the GPU as failure, I assumed the BSOD was result of corrupt windows, so I did a complete fresh install.

After the fresh install, replacing the GPU and clean install on it's drivers, I'm still seeing a lot of critical, error, and warnings in event log associated with periodic crashing of windows.

Is there a report that would work best for me to share here that could help fix what's driving these failures?

kanewolf

Titan
So I recently went through some GPU issues, where my GPU ended up failing completely. Prior to diagnosing the GPU as failure, I assumed the BSOD was result of corrupt windows, so I did a complete fresh install.

After the fresh install, replacing the GPU and clean install on it's drivers, I'm still seeing a lot of critical, error, and warnings in event log associated with periodic crashing of windows.

Is there a report that would work best for me to share here that could help fix what's driving these failures?
I would start by running MEMTEST86 for 6 - 8 hours to ensure your system is stable.

Gibbyness

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
I would start by running MEMTEST86 for 6 - 8 hours to ensure your system is stable.

Is this something I can run overnight and if it crashes during the night, it will generate a log (so I don't have to be present to read a screen etc)?

What are your full system specs? How long have you had the parts and make and model of power supply.

Built the PC in 2012:
  • replaced 1 stick of RAM in that time period, added 2 new sticks (from 16GB to 32GB) recently after GPU failure
    • RAM is GSkills F3-1866C9S-8GXM
  • Replaced GTX770 GPU with RTX2060 last week
  • PSU is a corsair AX760i
  • MOBO is Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
  • CPU i5-4670k on a corsair AIO
  • SSD with windows is a Samsung EVO 128GB
  • Additional 2TB SSD for game storage
  • ASUS Blu-Ray Disc Read/Write
  • NZXT Fan controller / touchscreen
  • Case is a Corsair C70
  • Temps over in the 59c range when underload on CPU
  • CPU has passed several hours of stress testing

• replaced 1 stick of RAM in that time period, added 2 new sticks (from 16GB to 32GB) recently after GPU failure
    • RAM is GSkills F3-1866C9S-8GXM
I'd suspect your system crashes to be because of this.
Your ram modules are not from same kit, but bought as separate modules.
And 4 module configuration has even more chance of possible issues that 2 module configuration.

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Gibbyness

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
I'd suspect your system crashes to be because of this.
Your ram modules are not from same kit, but bought as separate modules.
And 4 module configuration has even more chance of possible issues that 2 module configuration.

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

To clarify, the RAM originally was G.Skills (and when 1 failed, replaced with same G.Skills). When I started to lose the GPU, I went through some thoughts that it was just my game (Rust) crashing and needing more resources, so I bought 2 decently reviewed and cheaper DDR3 ram sticks to bump it up to 32GB. I did research a little and it seemed that it was OK to mix and match RAM permitted the speeds were the same. So slots 1 and 3 are the newly purchased generic RAM (Wlizedle DDR3 RAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz CL11 DIM).

below are the photos:

View: https://imgur.com/a/lQQB1nW

Gibbyness

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
Those are widely different modules.
Wlizedle modules are not rated for 1866mhz operation (only for 1776mhz).

I'd suggest decreasing ram frequency to 1600mhz and
setting DDR voltage to 1.65V to improve stability.

I don't follow the topic close enough, I appreciate that. Their posting on Amazon shows them as 1866MHz RAM and that they can downclock IF the PC doesn't support (I didn't bother changing settings from previous RAM based on that.) I was having a hard time finding the G.Skill DDR3 that wasn't 2x what I originally paid, so I thought I'd give these sticks a try since they were same speed. I didn't think to check the timings though, lesson learned for future occurrences.

Do you think it'd be worth returning and buying the actual G.Skill vs downclocking the G.Skill RAM?

So much misinformation out there. Their Amazon Post

I'll try setting it to 1600 in BIOs and 1.65v and see how she goes.

Do you think it'd be worth returning and buying the actual G.Skill vs downclocking the G.Skill RAM?
Nah. On Intel system performance difference between 1866mhz and 1600mhz DD3 is close to nothing.
Noticeable maybe only in ram specific benchmarks.

But if those frequency/ voltage adjustments don't improve stability, then
better course of action would be getting a matched set or 4x8GB ram module kit (not individually purchased modules).