Question Loud bang from pc

Dec 22, 2020
Hello everyone, I just finished my third pc build. But sadly when I turned it on, I heard a pretty loud bang and then it didn’t turn on again.. I have trouble shooted with another psu, after changing the psu, the pc turned on but no boot screen. also with an other cpu, this time I heard one beep but no boot.. i even tried an other gpu but no boot at all (but in a different pc it did work). I have also put the cpu in an other pc and then that one also wouldn’t boot.. (I also tested the ram in other pc where it worked)

Does someone know what possibly is the issue and what could have caused it? :/

Thanks a lot in advance

Specs

Mb: x570 aorus elite
Cpu: ryzen 5 5600x
Gpu: 6800xt
Psu: 850 watt cooler master MWE

pctech2005

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
When your power supply had the malfunction, your motherboard probably suffered some damage, and any device connected may have been affected as well. The main cause could have been higher than normal voltage being sent out from the power supply.

Reactions: Perachu

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A stroke of bad luck with the psu? Maybe there was a stray screw lying in there?
There's only so much to say... it's your 3rd build too, so I trust you're familiar with assembling them...
You didn't use cables from another psu?
Or perhaps you used custom cables not intended for your unit?
All that comes to mind is psu related stuff.

Besides the psu, it sounds like the accident took out the cpu and damaged the motherboard

Dec 22, 2020
A stroke of bad luck with the psu? Maybe there was a stray screw lying in there?
There's only so much to say... it's your 3rd build too, so I trust you're familiar with assembling them...
You didn't use cables from another psu?
Or perhaps you used custom cables not intended for your unit?
All that comes to mind is psu related stuff.

Besides the psu, it sounds like the accident took out the cpu and damaged the motherboard

thanks for the reply, I actually forgot to mention that it technically isn’t a complete new build, my cpu came a few days later so I used an older cpu, every part worked. But then when I placed the new cpu (5600x) with an liquid Aio in my pc I heard a bang, and then it didn’t turn on..

Dec 22, 2020
When your power supply had the malfunction, your motherboard probably suffered some damage, and any device connected may have been affected as well. The main cause could have been higher than normal voltage being sent out from the power supply.

I actually forgot to mention that it technically isn’t a complete new build, my cpu came a few days later so I used an older cpu, every part worked. But then when I placed the new cpu (5600x) with an liquid Aio in my pc I heard a bang, and then it didn’t turn on..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
thanks for the reply, I actually forgot to mention that it technically isn’t a complete new build, my cpu came a few days later so I used an older cpu, every part worked. But then when I placed the new cpu (5600x) with an liquid Aio in my pc I heard a bang, and then it didn’t turn on..
:unsure:
Did you reset CMOS before installing the 5600X?

What I'm getting at: You see, for users on the X299 platform who had the quad core Kaby Lake-X models - if they failed to clear CMOS before installing the 6 core and higher Skylake-X/Refresh/Cascade Lake-X parts, they would actually kill the new cpu upon powering it on.
The former used higher voltage settings that were fatal for the other models.

I've not heard of this from AMD's end, so it's probably just a coincidence.

Was it your first time handling a hybrid cooler? Perhaps you plugged a cable into the wrong header?

Dec 22, 2020
:unsure:
Did you reset CMOS before installing the 5600X?

What I'm getting at: You see, for users on the X299 platform who had the quad core Kaby Lake-X models - if they failed to clear CMOS before installing the 6 core and higher Skylake-X/Refresh/Cascade Lake-X parts, they would actually kill the new cpu upon powering it on.
The former used higher voltage settings that were fatal for the other models.

I've not heard of this from AMD's end, so it's probably just a coincidence.

Was it your first time handling a hybrid cooler? Perhaps you plugged a cable into the wrong header?

I did not reset CMOS before turning on with new cpu..I never heard of that, and will amd cover that damage? I have handled other hybrid coolers, I plugged it in the 4pin cpu fan header above the ram.
Thanks for reasoning with me btw