Question Loud build, but unsure why

Jun 14, 2020
Hi everyone,

So I made a build for a friend that wanted a rather cheap midrange PC. I used a lot of the recommended parts on hardware.info for a 1080p gaming PC.

In short:
  • Fractal Design Meshify C with the two standard case fans
  • ASRock B450M HDV R4.0
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI GTX 1050Ti
I made the same build a while ago, that one was perfectly, quiet unless under heavy load, but this build is loud even under no load and I'm unsure why.
  • First of all I tried changing the CPU Fan speeds (in BIOS and FAN-tastic tuning by ASrock). That didn't do anything so I tried to find out why. It turns out I can control the back fan (put it at 10%, 50%, 100%) but every percentage accounts for the same RPM according to FAN-tastic tuning... Namely 1200RPM. So I'm guessing the motherboard puts it at a lower percentage but the fan responds at 1200RPM.
  • Then I opened the case and unplugged the fans one after the other to find where the noise was coming from. What is odd here is unplugging one of the two fans (doesn't matter which one) doesn't change anything on the noise (like absolutely nothing, not even a small change), but when I unplug both it's suddenly quiet. That gives me the idea it's not the fans itself but something to do with the airflow. Nevertheless, everything has been installed correctly.
So I'm a bit puzzled and it seems as if I'm missing something obvious. Is there something wrong with the fans, fan control, or what?

Thanks for the advice.

D

Deleted member 1272431

So I'm a bit puzzled and it seems as if I'm missing something obvious. Is there something wrong with the fans, fan control, or what
Stupid question: have you mounted the fans in the correct direction?

Also, which fans are you referring to? CPU fan or case fan? Have you tried checking the fan outside the case to see if the fanblade is touching the fan case as it spins, if there is any dust on themm or maybe they are just cheap fans. Have you tried switching them?

Jun 14, 2020
I'm referring to the two standard case fans in this Fractal Design Meshify C, which are supposed to be rather good. They have been mounted in the right direction and they don't touch anything as they spin. The sound is obviously airflow but like under heavy load. It's also not the CPU fan, that one is silent. But as it's gone only when both case fans are off, it's almost as if they're conflicting somehow. Which is bizarre seeing as they are mounted correctly. Frustrating.