LOUD coil whine

arcticx7

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Hello,
I just got my Gigabyte RX Vega 56 Gaming OC 8G gpu and installed it in my system.
Specs:
nzxt h500i case with two exhaust fans
cooler master master liquid ml240r rgb aio
ryzen 5 2600x
2x8gb corsair vengeance rgb 3200mhz
msi b450 tomahawk
1x m.2 nvme from corsair
1x 500gb ssd
1x 1tb hdd
corsair cx750 psu (80 plus bronze rated i think)

When im just browsing the web or doing not demanding tasks there is almost no whining.
When I launch something like rocket league, nfs payback, etc. and start gaming it gets abnoxiously loud (it's louder than the fans, my little brother screaming in the background and the game blasthing through the speakers).
I'm guessing it's coming from the gpu since it gets bad only when i launch a game, otherwise it's almost inaudible plus I think the 750W corsair psu is doing a fine job.
I might not be so sure though.. my memory runs on 2133mhz natively idk why, but I enabled the 3200mhz XMP and I guess the psu (not sure though) got relatively noisy. When I turned it back to 2133mhz the sound stopped.
I bought the card from amazon.de and it arrived 4 days ago.
What should I do?
Thanks for any help in advance :)

Solution
No the next card I got doesnt have coil whine.

You can get coil whine on any card, i have had it on Nvidia, AMD/ATI, multiple card makers.

If you dont want to return it, then your other option is to just put up with it, get a nice set of headphones. Some people have been able to reduce the coil whine by running a high load benchmark constantly for a few hours, could be worth a try.

Other things that may or may not help:
1) Different PSU - some people changed psu which helped
2) Different power outlet

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Someone had a similar issue to this earlier which I had said in response:

"This had me interested as i haven't heard about this kind of issue before, so i did a little digging.

I came across this post on superuser which is another person having the exact same issue, and they also posted a video which sounded identical to yours.
https://superuser.com/questions/1358702/pc-is-buzzing-u...

Somebody had answered them that it could be overheating issues, either from your CPU or GPU.

Maybe give the program speccy a try and keep an eye on temps when this issue happens.
Speccy: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

If it comes down to overheating issues, it could be as simple as reseating your CPU, or adding a fan."

(original post: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3857975/mobo-speaker-crazy-loud-buzzing-sound-high-cpu-load.html?siteFrom=EPR-8807&utm_medium=email&utm_source=forum_email&utm_campaign=EPR-8807 )

arcticx7

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017

The temps are fine, the cpu is around 35 celsius most of the time when i game it goes higher but nothing alarming. The gpu temps are almost all the time below 60 celsius so the fans don't even spin.. hahaha when it gets above 60 the fans start spinning and it keeps the temp to around 63 celsius.
I'm pretty sure it's coil whine from the gpu, but I can't seem to figure out if it's the psu's fault since I don't have 2 psu's. I did put a 1050ti in the system and no buzzing whatsoever. So I'm pretty sure it's the gpu.
I just can't seem to get my head around the fact that I hear a weird noise when I enable XMP.

arcticx7

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017

Right now I have a 60hz monitor, so when i enable vsync or limit fps at 60 the whine/buzz is really subtle. I'm going to buy a 144hz monitor soon so I don't want the gpu to whine then since it's REALLY annoying.
Should I just send it back through amazon and buy another one? (Keep in mind that I would need to order from amazon.de and the prices are a mess)-the gigabyte vega 56 is the cheapest one, the other vega 56 are 100$ more.

arcticx7

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017

Did the new one have coil whine as well?
From what I hear the vega cards are pretty bad when it comes to coil whine, and apparently gigabyte are the worst ones.
I don't wanna go through the hassle of returning and waiting for a new card just to have the other one whine as well.
Plus my dad is really hesitant about returning.
It's annoying as F**K though!
Sound of the whine/buzz if anyone is interested:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U0E0uo4h7_etOzBTTYZjZl4Q2XLLsma-

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
No the next card I got doesnt have coil whine.

You can get coil whine on any card, i have had it on Nvidia, AMD/ATI, multiple card makers.

If you dont want to return it, then your other option is to just put up with it, get a nice set of headphones. Some people have been able to reduce the coil whine by running a high load benchmark constantly for a few hours, could be worth a try.

Other things that may or may not help:
1) Different PSU - some people changed psu which helped
2) Different power outlet

Solution

arcticx7

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017

Thanks for the help man, I appreciate it! :)
I will try to do all the things you just listed and if it doesn't help I'll probably just send it back since I have almost 25 days left to return it.