Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
seems that my gpu is making a louder coil whine noise than before , at least I suspect of my GPU since it was before the component that was doing that and I´ve only changed my CPU+Mb+RAM´s and add a 2tb HDD (WD black) . the loud coil whine only happens on games and seems to happen from time to time ...

here´s an example : https://voca.ro/1hR6z2ce1Cko

there´s some way to fix this ? or should I buy a new GPU ?

PC specs before the upgrade :
AOC monitor with 21" and freesync , 75hz
MSI a88xm-e35
AMD A8 6600k
Corsair XMS3 8gb 1666mhz
XFX RX 580 GTS XXX 4gb
Bitfenix formula gold 550w
2 hdd´s from WD , 1 wd green ,1 wd blue
1 ssd ( kingston a400 120gb)

PC specs with upgrade :
AOC monitor with 21" and freesync , 75hz
Gigabyte b450 gaming X
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4 (with RGB) at 3200mhz with XMP profile 1 enabled
XFX RX 580 GTS XXX 4gb
Bitfenix formula gold 550w
3 hdd´s from WD , 1 wd green , 1wd black ,1 wd blue
1 ssd ( kingston a400 120gb)

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for including the specs to your build before and after the upgrade. Most of our efforts are gone with asking their specs until we get to the solution. As for your PSU, how old is the unit in your build? Considering you recycled it from your prior version. Your PSU is barely coping with that build's specs since you're going to need headroom, i.e, you should've gone for a 650W reliably built PSU while you were upgrading.

Might want to include a video to corroborate the source of your noise. As for the source of your noise, you might want to use an A4 sheet of paper to roll into a cylinder, then hold one end on your ear then use the other end to probe for the source of the sound to make sure it's your GPU.

Very likely the noise...

Lutfij

Titan
Thank you for including the specs to your build before and after the upgrade. Most of our efforts are gone with asking their specs until we get to the solution. As for your PSU, how old is the unit in your build? Considering you recycled it from your prior version. Your PSU is barely coping with that build's specs since you're going to need headroom, i.e, you should've gone for a 650W reliably built PSU while you were upgrading.

Might want to include a video to corroborate the source of your noise. As for the source of your noise, you might want to use an A4 sheet of paper to roll into a cylinder, then hold one end on your ear then use the other end to probe for the source of the sound to make sure it's your GPU.

Very likely the noise is coming from the GPU's backplate area where some of the VRM's are or from the PSU for being stressed(since age will deteriorate the output of a PSU) and or they are both contributing to the noise.

Solution

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

Very likely the noise is coming from the GPU's backplate area where some of the VRM's are or from the PSU for being stressed(since age will deteriorate the output of a PSU) and or they are both contributing to the noise.

Hi first of all thanks for answering my question . I have left an audio , I don't see where a video will help more , the coil whine appears when the GPU is stressed , I even tested on aida 64 only stressing the gpu and it starts in a few seconds . The PSU have 1 year and 5 months old ... I dont think the PSU it's on a limit wattage ... The whole system will consume like 400- 450 w on full load , I will have like 100w of headroom , should be good enough for a gold rated PSU ...