[SOLVED] Loud CPU fan and erratic graphics performance on a brand new build that had its cooler reapplied

alvareo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014
Hello everyone, I've got a problem that's making me very anxious.

Yesterday I built my PC and after setting everything up and installing Windows I realised the cooler was installed the wrong way and was butting into the space of the RAM. I turned off the PC, unplugged the PSU and reinstalled the cooler the right way. I then started testing some games, which ran pretty good, including F-Zero GX with Dolphin. After installing the AMD Adrenalin software with the latest WQHL driver and turning on the setting enabling resolutions higher than my 1080p TV, I opened Mirror’s Edge and started testing those higher resolutions. CPU fan naturally started getting louder and the game stuttering a little, and suddenly my TV lost video signal and the fan went on full blast. I switched the computer off after a couple minutes of that, and since then, the fan is always louder than usual, even when temperatures are fine and the CPU is idle. I can’t play the same game on Dolphin without it crashing, and the C/GPU seems to underperform in games. I just reinstalled Windows and even during the installation the fan was louder than needed and the same game that used to run fine is crashing in the same spot. I played some Fortnite and I can't even get consistent 60fps, which I know is more than possible with this setup. Should I reinstall the cooler and apply more thermal paste? Is that my problem?

Thank you very much in advance. Here are my specs:
  • Asrock B450M Pro4
  • Ryzen 3400G, stock cooler
  • Corsair LPX 8GBx2 3200 MHz
  • Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
  • Seasonic S12II 620W
  • Yep, no discrete GPU

Solution
Remove the CPU, clean it up and check that no pins are bent - use a magnifying glass.
If OK then put it back and redo the TIM and reseat the cooler. Then try again.

Remove and reseat the ram to double check that its not damaged.

If you still have the problem, then try another CPU and another cooler (you might have to take it to the shop to get them to test it).

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Remove the CPU, clean it up and check that no pins are bent - use a magnifying glass.

If you still have the problem, then try another CPU and another cooler (you might have to take it to the shop to get them to test it).

Solution

alvareo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014

Thank you for this common sense response heh, I’ll try that out, I thought something like that but didn’t want to take the cooler apart until I could make sure I needed to reapply thermal paste. I’ll update with my results.

update: CPU pins are fine, thankfully! RAM removed and reseated as well. Now to wait for the thermal paste I’m getting tomorrow.

Last edited:

alvareo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014
Another thought - have you updated your bios so it will run a 3400G?
The mobo box said Ryzen 3000 ready so I didn’t update the BIOS since I’ve heard it’s better to not do so unless there’s an issue with your system... which this could be right? Should I update to the latest?

edit: forgot to add, the fan and temperature even when idle tends to ramp up and down for no reason, say 27-32 degrees when idle, the graph in MSI afterburner is full of spikes and it used to be a flatline

Last edited:

alvareo

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014
I'd have a look at the bios notes. I know my mobo didn't support the 3400G till some time after release.

It doesn't seem to be listed for your mobo - https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/#CPU
oh yeah, I knew it wasn’t supported at first so I had to look for the sticker on the box otherwise it wouldn’t POST. It had the sticker, and so it did POST. Speaking of POST, the fan only gets loud when that happens, if it makes any difference. anyway I’ll look at the update notes if it says something related to my issue. If I update anyway, could it help or is it too much of a risk?

TRENDING THREADS