Question Loud deep fryer noise coming from something inside PC (no mechanical drives installed) ?

Florian_10

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
Hi,
I've been forced to buy a whole system to finally get a RTX3080. My old PC was getting old anyway.

Let's say the new PC doesn't work really well...
I have crashes in game when glass panel is on (CPU and GPU temps are bellow 70). Stable when open.

But that's not the topic I wanna discus here. I have a loud deep fryer noise, like dying mechanical drive when I display something with transparency,
or when I load something, when I render a video...

Let me show you:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4arXKTPeEs

I synced the video taken with my phone near the open case and recorded screen. Audio is only from phone.

You can hear the noise clearly (it's a lot louder than fans) when I display a steam page with transparency.
I then start a furmark to show that it's not affected by GPU load, and then a cinebench for the same reason for the CPU.

PC specs: X570 AORUS ELITE
AMD RYZEN 7 5800X
VENGEANCE RGB PRO SL - DIMM - 32 Go (Kit 2 x 16 Go) DDR4 - 3600 MHz
GIGABYTE GP-ASM2 PCIE4.0 M.2 1To
GIGBAYTE RTX3080 GAMING OC
GP-P1000GM
(no mechanical drives)

What the hell is that noise?????????????? I can hear it with my headset on and the PC is behind a wall and closed door (wires coming through the wall).
Please help. :eek:

Florian_10

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
I already stopped all the fans with my finger while it was making the noise. Except the PSU fan.
I'm gonna try the tube trick. I wonder if it works or if I'll just look dumber than usual.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Perhaps try record sound again but have the phone's microphone close to different areas (cpu, gpu and psu) inside the case. Hopefully moving the phone around would indicate loudest source for us. Thisll help you investigate as well and use the toilet roll idea.

What cooler are you using? Seems to me the noise is generated by this or fan/pump related component. Only parts that would make such a noise, certainly wouldn't be from anything else.

Florian_10

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
I'm using a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
Your idea kinda worked but I didn't get the expected result. The sound was noticeably louder above the graphic card (so no PSU) and in front of the Dark Rock 4, over the RAM.

That's also where the top exhaust of the GPU is located. But too hard to be more precise.

Edit: Alright, I'm 99.99% sure it's coil whine from the Gigabyte 3080.
The noise is precisely reacting to core clock of the GPU. I can make the code clock dance at will, while monitoring, by playing with that transparent steam window.

Am I right? Will it get better? Should I have it replaced?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm maybe try use Msi Afterburner to adjust the gpu's fan curve to see if it has an influence, at least if it's fan related.

Im not sure about the coil whine though. Replacing would be a good idea if you can prove it is the gpu. If it is coil whine, who knows if it'll go away, probably not. Would hate to wonder while being tormented by that very annoying sound.

Last edited: