Loud electrical buzz from Graphics card and motherboard

Netherspark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Last week my graphics card, a 5 month old GTX 1070 Strix O8G, started making a loud electrical buzzing noise under any sort of significant load. People seem to suggest this is coil whine but it doesn't sound anything like any coil whine I've heard. It is literally just buzzing, no squeaks or squeals. However it does have the same cadence as coil whine. Reducing clock speed, voltage or frame rate has no effect on the noise unless you go under 30 FPS. It is there 100% of the time any game is running.

At first I thought the card was the culprit, but after testing with some benchmarks I noticed a second noise coming from somewhere around the CPU. This other sound is quieter but still clearly audible and sounds like a scattered pattern of intermittent high pitch buzzes and squeaks. This one is present ALL the time, even when the system is idle.

Does this make it more likely the PSU or the Motherboard is the problem? Is it possible for the motherboad to cause both this noise and the graphics card buzzing?

The PSU is a Seasonic Focus Plus, and an ASUS Z370-F motherboard.

If the PSU or motherboard responsible for this, would it be grounds to RMA?

IHateSmurfs

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Im 85% percent sure it is coil whine. Maybe RMA the GPU? EDIT: The PSU is from one of the best brands out there. More than likely GPU problems. Or maybe RMA both. I'm just kinda bamboozled as i've never heard such weird noises from GPU or MoBo's before. It is coil whine but probably there's no fix.