Question Loud fan - resolution?

Randian

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Hey everyone,

I am looking for some insight on a hardware problem I am having.

HARDWARE: I have the HP Omen Desktop.

PROBLEM: Yesterday I decided to move my desktop tower around in my room. Setting it down I ran into an issue: the CPU Cooler Fan is now extremely loud. I've joked to my roommates my desktop is preparing to fire itself into space. I have not had this issue before.

Exa.thumb.png.18d359d8385a280d60dab5512214657c.png

The fan will become extremely loud even when I'm idling on the desktop.

WHAT I'VE ATTEMPTED: I have attempted to do a full system restore to see if a setting was changed. It did not resolve the problem. I opened the desktop and blew out the dust. No resolution. I didn't bump my computer when I moved it, so I'm not sure if the fan somehow got moved around?

WHAT I NEED HELP ON: I don't have any experience on these issues. Should I attempt to open the fan port and tighten screws? If that's how that works? I'm not too sure where to start, or if there's other things I can check.

Thanks everyone!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1st, use realtemp or coretemp and verify your actual cpu temps. At idle they should be in the low 30's. Under mild loads, expect high 40's to mid 50's, gaming should be mid 50's+.

2nd, if temps are where they should be, check the fan on the aio, it's possible it was dirty and the move dislodged some dirt and thats affecting fan performance. If temps are not good, I'd be looking at you were possibly more aggressive with the move than you thought and have busted the seal on the thermal paste, so the cooler isn't working as it should. That'd require a repaste.

Randian

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
First of all, thanks for all of the quick responses. I was busy with the holidays, so I apologize for my own super late reply.

That said, I downloaded Realtemp. Here's two different recordings:

4UxRfgT.png

PEPvZbK.png

This was during gaming of Hearthstone, with Youtube music in the background. (neither of which I'd consider high needs)

And I reconnected the power cable, doesn't seem to have an effect. Nothing sounds as if it's hitting. As for the thermal paste, I'm really bad at these things. How would I tell I need to reapply thermal paste?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Agree with above diagnoses and advice. But replacing thermal paste needs a little bit of knowledge and skill. You certainly can do it yourself if you want to and if you look up the exact instructions from the maker of the thermal paste on how to apply, and how MUCH to apply. Then look up how your CPU is fastened in, and how the pump unit mounted over it can be removed and replaced, and how to clean off old paste before adding new.

If you prefer not to take this on yourself, any computer repair shop certainly can, for a fee of course. Or, if you have a friend with these skills already, ask for a favour.

Randian

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Apologies for the delay,

I went ahead and purchased & applied thermal paste. It did not correct the issue. I followed the above instructions and had a friend help through the process.

"resetting the aio" <-- Can you provide clarification of what this is/how to approach?

Suggestions on the next step if thermal paste isn't the solution/

Thanks everyone! :)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That acronym "AIO" stands for "All i One", and refers to the liquid cooling system that comes as a complete system with all components, and pre-filled with fluid. By the term "re-setting", the poster meant the process of removing the heatsink / pump unit mounted on the CPU chip and re-positioning it and fastening it down, in case it was loose. That usually involves removing and replacing the thermal paste as part of the operation. You have done that.