Loud fan while booting?!!?

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
So about 3 out of every 10 times I turn on my computer, it sounds like one of the fans running at full speed or something, it's very loud.

Sometimes I can hit my case or rock it and the noise will stop. Other times it doesn't matter and the noise will continue until Windows 7 gets to the login screen.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

ASUS Rampage iii Formula Motherboard
Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz stock
Corsair H70 cooler
12GB of Corsair Dominator RAM
EVGA GTX 570 HD 2.5GB

Wamphryi

Distinguished
The bearings in the fans can be a bit noisy at start up especially when they are cold. It is winter over here and my Rig is quite noisy until it starts to warm up. If it quits being noisy at log on I wouldn't worry about it. If it really gets to you them swap the fan out.

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012

Yeah I noticed that it seems like it happens more when my AC has been on full blast. This was messing with my head cuz I was thinking that fans would run faster when it was hotter, not colder. :pt1cable:

Is there maybe some type of lubricant that you can get specifically for fan bearings?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I don't know of any lubricant and I don't know if it is a good idea to use it. When the bearing is cold it contracts which causes play in the bearing. The PC starts up and the bearing vibrates. When it warms up it expands and takes up the slack.

When Win 7 starts up the system manages the fans speed which also helps. If the fans start making to much noise after log on and warming up then look at replacing them. Otherwise I would not worry about it.

TRENDING THREADS