Loud fire alarm like sound

johnny20

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,

I have just upgraded from Vista to Win7. It worked good at first. Sound even seemed to work so I didn't install any drivers. I plugged in my headphones and loudest noise started. It was like a continuous noise, very loud, like a fire alarm. I removed the headphones, but then it started in the speakers. My neighbors must have freaked out! I turned the laptop off by holding the on/off button pressed for many seconds. I restarted and a repair screen popped up. I let it do the repair thing. After that. all my previous installs were gone (antivirus). The volume was down so I couldn't hear any noises, I turned it up, and I could hear some noise, not as bad as before, but still very annoying. So I installed the audio driver for win7 and it seems to be gone, but now I am afraid to try the headphones again. I would rather have a computer without headphones than no computer.

What was that horrible noise?

Thank you

johnny20

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Update to this - it was just the old Vista driver. I installed the Win 7 driver and it works perfectly (including earphones). Never had a problem since.