[SOLVED] Loud high pitch screeching sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2020
I was playing rust with my friends in discord and I have a omen obelisk prebuilt gaming pc with I7-9700, RTX 2070 Super, when I started hearing a loud high pitched sound that got progressively louder over about 30 seconds, it almost sounded like a siren. it started getting very loud and I started to think it was going to explode so I turned it off, I checked the Cpu temp and it was at 80 degrees Celsius. But I’m not sure if that was the reason it was going off

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like coilwhine.... I would bet money the PSU is going to be the issue. An i7-9700 in a prebuild is going to hit 80c gaming for sure. There is really nothing else in a PC that can make a noise that loud as the PSU dying.

Just out of interest what cooler is intalled on the CPU, just an a pretty basic aircooler right? A better cooler for that CPU may be a good idea if you are gaming alot.

Normally a pre-built has a 2 year guarantee so if I could I would send it back and let them fix it or if it is no longer covered then dissconnect PSU, remove it from the case and hook it up to a power supply to outside in-case it does go bang.

Is this the PC you have...
Sounds like coilwhine.... I would bet money the PSU is going to be the issue. An i7-9700 in a prebuild is going to hit 80c gaming for sure. There is really nothing else in a PC that can make a noise that loud as the PSU dying.

Just out of interest what cooler is intalled on the CPU, just an a pretty basic aircooler right? A better cooler for that CPU may be a good idea if you are gaming alot.

Normally a pre-built has a 2 year guarantee so if I could I would send it back and let them fix it or if it is no longer covered then dissconnect PSU, remove it from the case and hook it up to a power supply to outside in-case it does go bang.

Is this the PC you have?
https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/om...uggJVHfLuIA74kD1R4tQx3mnhrQgaAi8xEALw_wcB:G:s

Reactions: Oussebon
Solution
Jan 6, 2020
Could be a HDD dying or the PSU dying. HDD can also make very loud sounds depending on the location and placement, and how thick your case is. Pretty sure if your PSU was actually making that sound as you mentioned, your pc would probably already be fried.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
As above, make use of the warranty the system comes with. How long have you had it?

Logging the issue with the manufacturer now is important as if there are any further issues down the line that could be related, you'll have this issue on record with them.

Feb 22, 2020
As above, make use of the warranty the system comes with. How long have you had it?

Logging the issue with the manufacturer now is important as if there are any further issues down the line that could be related, you'll have this issue on record with them.
I have only had it since October

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS