[SOLVED] Loud humming from HP ProDesk PC ?

Oct 19, 2020
Cannot turn on the desktop.

When I power it up, there is a loud humming sound coming from inside the system unit, which I believe is from the fan

HP PRODESK

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
It was working alright and then it stopped working all of a sudden. Had shut it down for the day and when I came to power it back on the next morning, the loud humming sound was coming from inside the system unit. When I power it on, the normal booting sound can be heard for about 10-20 seconds, then the loud hum starts for about a minute before it stops all of a sudden. During this process, the screen is blank.
This is a HP Prodesk (sticker on the front says INTEL CORE 15 7TH GEN.

Hope this helps

Need to find out where that noise is coming from. If it's the power supply need to replace that.

Above advice about holding the power button is not totally complete, you want to do a motherboard reset when trying this. Unplug from...
Oct 19, 2020
It was working alright and then it stopped working all of a sudden. Had shut it down for the day and when I came to power it back on the next morning, the loud humming sound was coming from inside the system unit. When I power it on, the normal booting sound can be heard for about 10-20 seconds, then the loud hum starts for about a minute before it stops all of a sudden. During this process, the screen is blank.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Need to find out where that noise is coming from. If it's the power supply need to replace that.

Above advice about holding the power button is not totally complete, you want to do a motherboard reset when trying this. Unplug from wall power, remove the CMOS battery and then hold in the power button for about 15 seconds. Do not plug in the system for an hour, after that put the CMOS battery back in and see if it works. You should also reseat the RAM and try one RAM stick at a time or different RAM.

Solution