[SOLVED] Loud noise during cold boot.

Demoniacs

Prominent
Sep 30, 2019
Hi,
I'm having this loud noise when starting from cold boot. I manage to pin down the problem with the psu.

What I normally do is shut down the computer and start it back up and the noise does not show up again. Sometimes if i'm lazy or need the computer right away, I just let it sit for a minute and the noise subsides to normal.

The PSU is more than 5 years old. Is it time to get a new one (stupid question given the situation) or is there something I can do to save it?

P.S. I'm trying to save if I can due to financial reasons and i'm living in a third world country so getting a good pc part is very costly.

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
Yes, you REALLY should replace that power supply. Not today, YESTERDAY. Last week. A year ago. LOL. Seriously.

For future reference.

For current reference.

Demoniacs

Prominent
Sep 30, 2019
What is the model of your current PSU? The EXACT model.

Just exactly what KIND of noise is it making. Can you make a recording of the noise?
It makes a grinding noise and it is called POWERLOGIC Switching Power Supply ATX-700-W. Not even true rated. :(

I cant seem to find where I could attach the sound clip and the pic of the PSU in the forums.

TIA

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
Yes, you REALLY should replace that power supply. Not today, YESTERDAY. Last week. A year ago. LOL. Seriously.

For future reference.

For current reference.

Demoniacs

Prominent
Sep 30, 2019
:ROFLMAO: I agree. I should have done that years ago. Even my instinct tells me I should have done that before but It's just me being a cheap.

Thank you DB. Marking as resolved.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS