Question Loud PC

Jan 6, 2023
Hi my pc seems to run louder than it should - it is quite loud as soon as i turn my pc on Can someone help me with going through my specs and what could be causing the issue please?

Specs are:
CPU - Intel i7 12700K
FRAM - Corsair 32gb 3600mhz
SSD -PNY CS1031 1TB SSD
GPU - PNY 3080 10GB
Motherboard - MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 LGA 1700 Micro-ATX Motherboard
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P5 80 Plus, Platinum 850W, Fully Modular PSU
Cooler - Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB AIO Cooler
Case = NZXT H5 Flow Case (comes with 1x rear fan + 1x bottom fan)

Thank you :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to take a sheet of A4 paper, roll it into a cylinder and then hold one end to your ear while the other is used to probe for the source of the sound. Are you experiencing the loud noise from the fans alone? If so, there are fans all over your build, this is why I've asked to try and narrow down the source of the noise.

What OS are you working with? If you're on a Windows OS environment, please open Task Manager and see what your system usages are.

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
Run something like hwInfo to check temps and fan speeds. Could be set to run fans full speed all the time. Could be high temps causing this. Could be just loud fans.

I monitor with hwInfo but use MSI Afterburner to set fan curve. Currently at 30-32 CPU and 33 GPU and pc is silent. Maybe 3 feet away from me.

Do you have any intake fans on front?

Jan 6, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to take a sheet of A4 paper, roll it into a cylinder and then hold one end to your ear while the other is used to probe for the source of the sound. Are you experiencing the loud noise from the fans alone? If so, there are fans all over your build, this is why I've asked to try and narrow down the source of the noise.

What OS are you working with? If you're on a Windows OS environment, please open Task Manager and see what your system usages are.

Hi!
I've opened up the case and believe that it's coming from the liquid cooler. I am using Win 11, I got the PC yesterday and was initially on Win 10 and had the same problem.

My task manager usage right now:

CPU - 8%
GPU -7%
RAM - 10/32GB
Disk - 1%

I'm only using it to download games as of now, but the sound has the same noise while I am playing games.

thank you

Jan 6, 2023
Run something like hwInfo to check temps and fan speeds. Could be set to run fans full speed all the time. Could be high temps causing this. Could be just loud fans.

I monitor with hwInfo but use MSI Afterburner to set fan curve. Currently at 30-32 CPU and 33 GPU and pc is silent. Maybe 3 feet away from me.

Do you have any intake fans on front?

I think it set to full speed, don't seem to hear it change ever. And the sound begins on starting up my pc. I believe the sound comes from my liquid cooler.

Fans i have 2x 120mm top (liquid cooler) , 1x 120mm rear, 1x bottom 120mm fan,

thank you

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
I think it set to full speed, don't seem to hear it change ever. And the sound begins on starting up my pc. I believe the sound comes from my liquid cooler.

Fans i have 2x 120mm top (liquid cooler) , 1x 120mm rear, 1x bottom 120mm fan,

thank you
try bending the liquid tubes connecting to the cooler. sometimes if the tubes are at a wrong angle, it can make an annoying sound as the water rushes through the tight tubes.

Feb 26, 2023

I just got the case too. The problem we're both facing is that the NZXT's fans are 3-pin, not 4-pin PWM, so the motherboard treats them as standard fans and runs them at full speed.

I've been trying to find a solution besides buying their hub to get control of the fan speeds.

So far, no luck. It looks like I'll have to buy the controller.

I am hoping not to use the CAM software.

Let me know if you figure anything out.

Reactions: Rokinamerica
Jan 6, 2023
I just got the case too. The problem we're both facing is that the NZXT's fans are 3-pin, not 4-pin PWM, so the motherboard treats them as standard fans and runs them at full speed.

I've been trying to find a solution besides buying their hub to get control of the fan speeds.

So far, no luck. It looks like I'll have to buy the controller.

I am hoping not to use the CAM software.

Let me know if you figure anything out.

Ahh I'm glad you figured out the problem. I never found a solution to fix it permanently. I use a third party software to control the speeds everytime i hop on, which gets annoying.

Let me know if you find another way to fix it, please, I'm not too good with PC stuff, so even if i bought it i wouldn't know how to connect it.

Reactions: MaZAKaR
Feb 26, 2023
Well, I gave up on finding an alternate solution.

I happened to have an older case with an "NZXT RGB & Fan Controller" (the H510i), which you can do a search for on Amazon. Plugging the fans into that will allow you to control the fan speed. It's lame that they require you to pay more for their ecosystem.

Another option I was thinking about, but it is more expensive, is replacing all fans with PWM fans and getting a Corsair iCue Commander to control each fan installed individually—a little more maintenance.

I am currently opting for the NZXT controller, and my MB has two PWM connections, which I control with FanControl. JayTwoCents has a great tutorial on the FanControl app, but standard settings on your MB should do fine with PWM and not being obnoxiously loud.

Latest posts