[SOLVED] Loud pop and restart during stress test. PC now powers on and runs fine but now scared to run test again ?

WoodyRed

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
CPU : i7-4790k - not overclocked, stock cooler (6 years old or so now)
GPU : Radeon R7 370 ( a couple years old)
Motherboard : Asrock H81M (~6 years old)
RAM : 16GB corsair ram (~6 years old)
PSU : corsair rm850x (brand new)
Case : corsair airflow 4000d (brand new)

So I run intel burner to see what kind of temps Im getting, but two seconds in I hear a loud POP & PC restarts. Now running fine. Had a close visual inspection - nothing looks out of place on motherboard, gpu - shined a torch and had a close look into PSU also - all caps etc. I could see looked fine - no burnt smell. so weird.

What's occurred here ? Is it safe to continue using PC ? safe to try running intel burner again ?

Solution
If nothing is scorched my guess is a speaker pop or fan interference. This can happen when things crash or get in the way. As far as the safety of the pc goes it is really more about a fire hazard than anything else. You get what you pay for here, (free advice) but generally speaking if you popped any major electrical components there is usually a puff of smoke (often times yellow) and a strong lingering order. Look for cables that are too close to fans for fan strikes. With the unit not smelling or obvious interference I would just keep a close eye on it for a while (only run it while you are present) and try to duplicate the issue to verify the cause. Best of luck.
CPU : i7-4790k - not overclocked, stock cooler (6 years old or so now)
GPU : Radeon R7 370 ( a couple years old)
Motherboard : Asrock H81M (~6 years old)
RAM : 16GB corsair ram (~6 years old)
PSU : corsair rm850x (brand new)
Case : corsair airflow 4000d (brand new)

So I run intel burner to see what kind of temps Im getting. 2 seconds in, I hear a loud POP. PC restarts. Now running fine. Had a close visual inspection - nothing looks out of place on motherboard, gpu - shined a torch and had a close look into PSU also - all caps etc. I could see looked fine - no burnt smell. so weird.

whats occurred here ? safe to continue using PC ? safe to try running intel burner again ?
Are you sure that "pop" didn't come from speakers ?

jasonf2

Distinguished
If nothing is scorched my guess is a speaker pop or fan interference. This can happen when things crash or get in the way. As far as the safety of the pc goes it is really more about a fire hazard than anything else. You get what you pay for here, (free advice) but generally speaking if you popped any major electrical components there is usually a puff of smoke (often times yellow) and a strong lingering order. Look for cables that are too close to fans for fan strikes. With the unit not smelling or obvious interference I would just keep a close eye on it for a while (only run it while you are present) and try to duplicate the issue to verify the cause. Best of luck.

Solution
Likely, the processor failed because of the load from IBT.
When that happens, you usually get a sound generated in the speakers.
The stock cooler was likely insufficient to let the 4790K run full out.
With power off, check the cooler.
Nudge it to see if it wiggles.
Check the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 push pins are through the motherboard and locked.
Look at the idle temperatures of your cpu.
You should see something like 10-15c. over ambient. Significantly more and you should remount the cooler or buy a better replacement.

WoodyRed

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Likely, the processor failed because of the load from IBT.
When that happens, you usually get a sound generated in the speakers.
The stock cooler was likely insufficient to let the 4790K run full out.
With power off, check the cooler.
Nudge it to see if it wiggles.
Check the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 push pins are through the motherboard and locked.
Look at the idle temperatures of your cpu.
You should see something like 10-15c. over ambient. Significantly more and you should remount the cooler or buy a better replacement.

thats reassuring. yeah, the temp in this room is 22c and the cpu is showing 31c idle. maybe the sound was from the speakers... sounded awfully like something in the PC though