Question Loud pop/bang sound from psu but pc works fine

farhanshaikh671

Commendable
May 21, 2018
I have a corsair tx650m. So this happened first time a few days ago when my pc was just sitting powered off but main switch was powered on. Suddenly a loud pop(bang?) sound came most likely from the psu. The first thing I did was turn off the main switch. After a couple of minutes I turned the pc on and it worked just fine even under load. In fact I played a lot of rdr2 until this happened again today. I always turn off the main switch at night so when I tried to turn on the main switch this evening, the same thing happened again. Waited a couple of minutes, tried turning on pc again, worked fine. I'm really confused as there was no smell or visible burn marks inside the psu (from what I could see as I peeked inside the psu). Everything was normal as this happened, breaker didn't pop, house lights didn't dim out or anything like that. I'm really confused now as to what to do next. Please help me out. Thanks.

DSzymborski

Titan
Stop using this PSU now and call Corsair for an RMA.

Imagine you had two seizures after never having a seizure in your life. Do you:

A: Decide you don't need to do anything since the seizures didn't kill you so everything must be fine.
B: Go to the emergency room or at the very least, make an appointment with the doctor.

There's nothing in a power supply that is supposed to make a loud pop. Your power supply made a loud pop. Power supplies are safety equipment. Ipso facto, you need to stop using the power supply immediately. You've actually been given a warning; why wait until after some or all of your components are destroyed before heeding it? This power supply can never be trusted again.

Reactions: farhanshaikh671

farhanshaikh671

Commendable
May 21, 2018
Stop using this PSU now and call Corsair for an RMA.

Imagine you had two seizures after never having a seizure in your life. Do you:

A: Decide you don't need to do anything since the seizures didn't kill you so everything must be fine.
B: Go to the emergency room or at the very least, make an appointment with the doctor.

There's nothing in a power supply that is supposed to make a loud pop. Your power supply made a loud pop. Power supplies are safety equipment. Ipso facto, you need to stop using the power supply immediately. You've actually been given a warning; why wait until after some or all of your components are destroyed before heeding it? This power supply can never be trusted again.
Thanks, I already packed it up and it's waiting on my shelf until Corsair responds.