[SOLVED] Loud PSU fan noise after replacing GPU

Jun 1, 2020
Hey everyone

TL:DR: New GPU, PSU fan goes really loud now on load. Should I think of replacing my PSU for a new one?

I recently switched out my EVGA GTX1060 SC with an EVGA RTX2060 Super XC Ultra; I also switched some chinese brand front intake fans with a couple of Corsair ML140 and adjusted the fan curve accordingly. Yet, while playing and doing some benchmarks on Cinebench, Valley or Heaven, I kept noticing high fan noise coming from my PC, but when there's any load on it. I tried to adjust all the fans on my machine (GPU, CPU, 2 intake fans, 1 exhaust fan) and the noise kept on going.

Finally, after opening my tower and checking every fan by ear I noticed that the one that that's ramping up is the one from my PSU (Thermaltake TR 600W).
The thing is, unless I have been blaming the high rev noises to other components beforehand, I never noticed this happening before, and it only happens with any kind of load. If I let my PC be, eventually it goes back down to quiet, but it does takes some time.

My question is: should I be worried? Is this a telltale sign that is time to change my PSU?

Current setup:
  • Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler (and PBO enabled)
  • EVGA RTX 2060 super XC Ultra with a light overclock
  • ASUS TUF B450M Gaming Plus motherboard
  • 2x8GB DDR4 3000 ram sticks (HyperX with RBG, forgot the model)
  • Thermaltake TR 600W non-certified, since it's kind of old
  • 2x Corsair ML140 fans as intake
  • 1x upHere 120 led fan as exhaust
  • Corsair Spec-01 case
Due to the pandemic and my country of origin, I don't have that many options to replace my PSU, I mostly can get either:
  • Corsair CX line (450w to 750w)
  • EVGA W and N line (from 500w to 750w), a couple of BQ (from 700w to 850w) and GQ line (650w and 580w)
  • One Corsair RM line (1000w, kinda overkill)
  • A couple of fancy Asus ROG psu (550w and 800w, kinda expensive)

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Solution
A CX 550watt should be fine.

If you want abit more for maybe upgrade purposes, and those would be really powersucking cpu+gpu, then take the 650watt. But hen again for those parts you just might want to get a better psu anyway.

Think the way your psu is build and the way new/latest gpu's can draw power makes components hot in the psu so the fan needs to ramp up. The TR series is not very good so since at age just replace it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
A CX 550watt should be fine.

If you want abit more for maybe upgrade purposes, and those would be really powersucking cpu+gpu, then take the 650watt. But hen again for those parts you just might want to get a better psu anyway.

Think the way your psu is build and the way new/latest gpu's can draw power makes components hot in the psu so the fan needs to ramp up. The TR series is not very good so since at age just replace it.

Solution
Jun 1, 2020
Thanks to both of you for your answers. I've settled on a CX650 since it was actually cheaper here than the CX550, no idea why.

Sadly, the GQ 650w is pretty much double the price of the CX650, so I had to compromise on that one.

Cheers!

Reactions: Vic 40