Question Loud PSU fan with rattle sound

Sijedevos

Reputable
Jun 12, 2018
So at first I though my cpu fans were making a lot of sound but it turned out it be my psu fan. The psu fan is really loud and makes a annoying rattle sound which is very noticeable while gaming. This happens after I cleaned it with a air compressor before that I didn’t have this problem. Also my hdd is really loud and I’m not talking about those writing and reading sounds every now and then but the spinning sound. It’s probablt around the noise lvl at a case fan on over a 1000 rpm. When I unplug it my pc sound pretty silent expect for the psu of course. Should I back it up or is this normal for a hdd?

Last edited:

Sijedevos

Reputable
Jun 12, 2018
Impossible to say without knowing the CPU you are trying to cool, temperature, and the fan RPM at the intolerable noise level.

If you don't like the fans, replace them. Or sacrifice temperature for silence.
The cpu is ryzen 5 2600 @4.1ghz and with a custom (less noise) fancurve it’s averaging at 55 degrees Celsius. I was trying stuff out setting case fans to 0% which didn’t make a difference and my gpu to 0% and the noise was still there so I figured it was the cpu cooler but when I adjusted the rpm, I started hearing a difference until I turned them up to 1200 rpm and when I hear closely the sound wasn’t coming from the cpu cooler fans. It was my psu all along. I got a new pc case 3 days ago and when I took my psu out it was all dusty and I cleaned it with a air compressor. My psu was very silent until I cleaned it which doesn’t make sense actually.

Sijedevos

Reputable
Jun 12, 2018
Impossible to say without knowing the CPU you are trying to cool, temperature, and the fan RPM at the intolerable noise level.

If you don't like the fans, replace them. Or sacrifice temperature for silence.
Oh and I found out that my hdd makes more noise then all fans together. When I unplugg it my pc is relatively silent expect for the loud and annoying rattle in my psu fan. Is this good or should I back it up? I mean loud as in it’s sound like a loud fan, not the writing and reading sounds from hdd I know that’s normal.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is possible your cleaning left behind some dust that makes the fan unbalanced, or you overspun it and ruined the bearing. Have another go at cleaning it. Worst case, get a new PSU. If you don't mind taking it apart you can always replace a PSU fan. Though that might entail wiring.

As for the hard drive, I'm not entirely certain what you are describing. It is a spinning platter and it will make noise at 7200 rpm. If you think it is making too much noise, then you can replace it. Backups are always a good idea. If you haven't download something like CrystalDisk Info and look at the drive's SMART records. If it says it is healthy it probably is.

Sijedevos

Reputable
Jun 12, 2018
It is possible your cleaning left behind some dust that makes the fan unbalanced, or you overspun it and ruined the bearing. Have another go at cleaning it. Worst case, get a new PSU. If you don't mind taking it apart you can always replace a PSU fan. Though that might entail wiring.

As for the hard drive, I'm not entirely certain what you are describing. It is a spinning platter and it will make noise at 7200 rpm. If you think it is making too much noise, then you can replace it. Backups are always a good idea. If you haven't download something like CrystalDisk Info and look at the drive's SMART records. If it says it is healthy it probably is.
I fixed my psu I bought a noctua nf-f12 and drilled a hole in the side of my psu for the wire and connected it straight to my motherboard. If it does overheat my pc will shutdown and not blow up. My hdd is making a really loud spinning sound but I don’t have money atm to replace it I will back it up just to be sure.