Dec 28, 2020
Hi. A few days ago I bought a used budget gaming pc. However, after using it for a few hours I noticed that my PSU fan would start making a grinding noise as if it is touching something while spinning. Interesting thing is when my place my case horizontally, the noise would stop immediately. After putting it up, the noise appears again. I've been checking my pc's temperature and nothing is ever hot. CPU is around 35 C when idle, GPU 27 C and motherboard 45 C. Anyone had a similar problem? Thank you !
Specs:
i5 4590
8 gb ddr3 ram
msi h81m-p33
gtx 1050 ti
fsp300-60HHN(85) PSU (used)

Last edited:

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
That's a 300W PSU, should be adequate for the 1050.

Check out this video. If the fan isn't blocked / dirty, the bearings might be getting dry. (Guessing when the fan is on it's side it's ok?)

You can easily disassemble a PSU,
  • Take pictures at each step.
  • Remove the PSU
  • Remove the fan,
  • Gently peel back the sticker on the fan,
  • Remove the rubber plug and add a drop or two of oil.
  • Spin the fan by hand, replace the plug,.
  • Wipe up excess oil and replace sticker (or use a new piece of furnace tape (foil) or tuck tape cut to fit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAd8UNa1Zew

Dec 28, 2020
That's a 300W PSU, should be adequate for the 1050.

Check out this video. If the fan isn't blocked / dirty, the bearings might be getting dry. (Guessing when the fan is on it's side it's ok?)

You can easily disassemble a PSU,
  • Take pictures at each step.
  • Remove the PSU
  • Remove the fan,
  • Gently peel back the sticker on the fan,
  • Remove the rubber plug and add a drop or two of oil.
  • Spin the fan by hand, replace the plug,.
  • Wipe up excess oil and replace sticker (or use a new piece of furnace tape (foil) or tuck tape cut to fit.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAd8UNa1Zew
Thanks for the reply. Luckily, I found a spare 400 W psu and put that one instead and now I don't have any issues.

Reactions: AntonyLovric

TRENDING THREADS