Question Loud snap, power trip, and then PC plus monitor seem to have died at once?

Aug 14, 2019
Hey all. Very much all in the title.

I just turned my computer on a moment ago, I heard a loud snap and then the power tripped. Both my PC and monitor are no longer turning on. I was connected to a surge protector, and other items like my lamp which were on are OK

I suspect my PSU is dead as the light I usually have on my MB is off. Its an ASUS monitor and an ASUS mobo. The PSU was quite an expensive corsair one, I can't remember its name.

Any ideas? Help would be great.

I'm on the verge of just sending both off for repairs under warranty, but I'd like your input first!!

Hey all. Very much all in the title.

I just turned my computer on a moment ago, I heard a loud snap and then the power tripped. Both my PC and monitor are no longer turning on. I was connected to a surge protector, and other items like my lamp which were on are OK

I suspect my PSU is dead as the light I usually have on my MB is off. Its an ASUS monitor and an ASUS mobo. The PSU was quite an expensive corsair one, I can't remember its name.

Any ideas? Help would be great.

I'm on the verge of just sending both off for repairs under warranty, but I'd like your input first!!

Just to be sure, you are trying to turn them on using a different outlet and power strip correct?

Aug 14, 2019
Can you post your full specs?
Open up the PC and look at the exact model of PSU, as well as provide its age.

If you have another PSU you can try, thats a start.

Thanks for replying! It's a Corsair Rm650x, so quite recent. The mobo is an ASUS prime z270-A. Unfortunately I don't have another PSU handy...

Just to be sure, you are trying to turn them on using a different outlet and power strip correct?

Yep, I've tried them both on a different outlet.

Can you post your full specs?
Open up the PC and look at the exact model of PSU, as well as provide its age.

If you have another PSU you can try, thats a start.

Does it matter? The monitor is dead too. Monitors don't plug into your PSU.

Sounds like the power strip isn't much of a "surge suppressor".... unless of course the outlets aren't grounded.

@Michael lJC92: What region are you located in? Are your outlets grounded? What's the brand of the power strip?