Question Louder coil whine = dying psu?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
My 5.5 years old XFX power supply always had some coil whine but yesterday it was louder than before, is it a sign it's living its last days?

Despite XFX having put-out a high quality 550W unit, power supplies do have a finite lifetime, and that lifetime is shortened by operating the PSU at the upper limits of its load handling capability. I don't know how hard you have run it, but it does sound like it's on the decline.

Singing coils (coil whine) will--eventually--short themselves out, because the noise that you are hearing is a result of actual physical movement of the wires in the coil windings. Constant movement like that will abrade the insulation away and allow adjacent windings to short together. Shorted coils usually result in increased ripple voltage, and that is hard on your motherboard and connected devices.

It is up to you....if it's been ridden hard, then you would want to make replacement a priority. If it has seen mild use, it may be fine...noisy, but fine...but it will fail, eventually. (Not necessarily catastrophically, but it certainly won't be meeting design specs, and that's bad for your hardware.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Despite XFX having put-out a high quality 550W unit, power supplies do have a finite lifetime, and that lifetime is shortened by operating the PSU at the upper limits of its load handling capability. I don't know how hard you have run it, but it does sound like it's on the decline.

Singing coils (coil whine) will--eventually--short themselves out, because the noise that you are hearing is a result of actual physical movement of the wires in the coil windings. Constant movement like that will abrade the insulation away and allow adjacent windings to short together. Shorted coils usually result in increased ripple voltage, and that is hard on your motherboard and connected devices.

It is up to you....if it's been ridden hard, then you would want to make replacement a priority. If it has seen mild use, it may be fine...noisy, but fine...but it will fail, eventually.

I think I will replace it these 2 days, I have also to make power room for a very potential used GTX 1080ti to replace my 1070

We all age with time, do you mean use?
Actually I do....good call. ;)

Of course, letting a PSU sit in inventory for a long time does allow the caps to dry out slightly, but your point is valid and I'll not nit-pick at it....LOL

######## OOPS #########
I thought that was directed at me. (I need new glasses, obviously.)

Sorry MM!

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.