Nov 28, 2019
Hello!

This is my first time posting here, sorry in advance if I posted in the wrong section or something.

Basically, iv just upgraded my PC and now my fans are much noisier than before. This new setup is noisier while idling than my old was under pressure, i'm not even sure if it was noisy. I have no idea why my fans would have become noisier, so I thought id ask here to see if anyone knows anything about what might be causing it. My new CPU seems to have a higher idle temperature than my last as well, and I am using a CPU water cooler. I haven't tried any gameplay yet, have only been looking around the BIOS and on Google Chrome.

Old Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS 787-A
CPU: Intel i5-4670k
GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 6gb
PSU: Thermaltake smart series 600W
RAM: 12gb DDR3
CPU Fan: Cooler Master ml240l

New Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070
PSU: Thermaltake smart series 600w (Same one)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR4
CPU Fan: Cooler Master ml240l (same one)

Nov 28, 2019
Thanks for the help, bond47

I checked my BIOS , my chasis fans were around 1600+ rpm and my CPU fan was 2000+ just at the BIOS. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I set the fans to manual and lowered them, though to how much rpm i'm not sure. It seems to have made a difference, definitely quieter. Though, I do notice a spike in sound every now and then like when opening Chrome. Is this just an AMD thing? Its more noticeable than my last build but the idling seems much better than what it was after tinkering with the fan settings in the BIOS.

Reactions: bond47

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Be VERY careful in what you are doing. Your concentration seems to be on reducing the fan noise. But the main purpose of the fan is to COOL the CPU enough to keep its temperature within the specified limits. The normal automatic CPU_FAN controls use the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip as their guide, and the BIOS is pre-programmed to recognize the CPU chip installed and look up the correct operating temperature. Then it adjusts the fan speed to keep the chip internal temp near that target. Since you have changed to a new higher-power CPU chip (which generates more heat and probably is supposed to operate at a higher temp), it is reasobale that the new chip may need MORE air flow and cooling from the fan than the older one did. BUT if you interfere and force that fan to run at a slower speed to get it to be quiet, then the CPU chip can NOT be cooled properly; more importantly, as you increase its workload with gaming, a fixed manual speed setting certainly will NOT provide the cooling it needs under those conditions.

Check that your cooler pump is mounted well evenly and tight.
At idle, you should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient.

How is your case ventilation?
You have a hotter gpu to manage also.
If you take the case covers off, do you do better?
If so, look to case cooling solutions.

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
You have upgraded to much more power, heat generating components, it would stand to reason that the temperature in your case would increase (especially as the cooling solution remained the same), as the device runs hotter, the fancurve will peak earlier, thus larger noises, you can lower this in the bios, but if you are not careful, may damage components.

The easier and safer change would be to also upgrade your cooling solution if you cannot get your fan curve to a respectable cooling+noise levels, noctua fans are known to be both very effective and quiet, and would be the recommended upgrade if you do so.

Nov 28, 2019
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

I monitor my GPU and CPU temps while gaming. I don't believe my CPU has gone beyond 60 degrees in any game, my GPU on the other hand goes up to 80 degrees when playing games on max settings. The games iv played so far on it are Red Dead Redemption 2, Battlefield 5, and Fortnite. Overwatch for example, would put it at 60 degrees. The fan settings in the BIOS had a graph I could edit, that's how I lowered them and I only lowered the early part of it, from what I could tell I increased the temperature at which the fans curve and starting going faster, from about 20 degrees to 40.

I am wondering about the case though. The only two fans I have running right now are the cooler master ones that attach to the cooler master radiator. I don't believe my motherboard has anymore chassis fan inputs for me to use my other fan.

My CPU idles in the 40-50 degree range, my 2070 idles at 50 degrees.

Check that your cooler pump is mounted well evenly and tight.
At idle, you should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient.

How is your case ventilation?
You have a hotter gpu to manage also.
If you take the case covers off, do you do better?
If so, look to case cooling solutions.
Yes, i'm quite sure its as tight as it can get, are you saying my CPU should be at 10-15 degrees Celsius while idling? My old one never even got that low.

Nov 28, 2019
Oooohh, ok that makes much more sense. Felt kind of foolish asking that question haha. Mine seems to fluctuate between 36 and 46 every few seconds while browsing the internet and what not. I think I have it setup ok now. The temps seem within acceptable ranges when under stress and while idling. Thanks for the help guys!