Love Coffee, Hate Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Is it possible to avoid installing Java in the first place?
Can I avoid Java VIRUSES by NOT installing Java in the first place?

I just lost ALL my info/programs/games installed on my boot drive due to a Java Virus, I manage to identify the virus as: exdoer

This is a Trojan Java Virus that turned OFF my PC at random, even on SAFE Mode. :cry:

I tried every Antivirus known to mankind, nothing worked.

Story short I was forced to Format my boot drive and re-install Windows 7, I have to re-install every program now, (I'm going slowly) ... this time.
I like to know if I can avoid entirely the use/install of Java on my PC.

Do we "need Java" for anything?

I know that some websites "require Java" ... so I will probably avoid those (even some sites I like) eg:Redkaraoke.com :eek:

I really like to avoid to get infected like this again... ever.

Thank you for any help.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

So far... I have been "lucky", (no web page or program has ask me to install Java yet)
I was surprised that Redkaraoke.com didn't ask me either. (I could swear they used to use Java)

On the other hand, my PC shut down again! :cry:
Twice! :cry:

I double checked, there are no viruses this time, so it might be related to the PSU. :cry:

I can't afford a new one at this moment.

I'm running 9 Hard Drives, 1 DVD-RW, 1 video card, 1 sound card, 1 PCI Sata controller, 1 HDTV tuner.

Note: I downloaded new drivers for my motherboard and so far, it has not shut down again...
but I'm not sure yet.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
OK, I verify my power supply is: PC Power and Cooling 750Watts (PC Power and Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7)

I bought it about 4 years ago, I'm not certain, but I think that it might not be "strong enough".

Status
Not open for further replies.