Question Low 3D mark score (12461) and bad performance from 3070

Jul 14, 2022
I recently bought a used 3070 that has been used for mining before. Temps are going up to 75degrees but it is getting loud at 100% usage. my 3D mark graphics score of 12461 is pretty low compared to the 13651 from 3D mark’s benchmark shown here. What do you think, should I return my gpu or is it because of the rest of my system? I will of course provide more info if needed.

Specs:
i5 8600k
Gigabyte eagle 3070 oc with 516.4 drivers
vengence 16gb 2400mhz
Evga g3 550W

7GPQHrh.png

Few thoughts

75c is still a bit warm. Perfectly safe but may lower auto boosting.

GPU could have a mining VBIOS, you may want to install the latest VBIOS.

Those scores will be compared to a lot of people who are overclocking their gpu. It’s fairly normal to come out under the average if you are not overclocking.

Jul 14, 2022
Few thoughts

75c is still a bit warm. Perfectly safe but may lower auto boosting.

GPU could have a mining VBIOS, you may want to install the latest VBIOS.

Those scores will be compared to a lot of people who are overclocking their gpu. It’s fairly normal to come out under the average if you are not overclocking.
The VBIOS has not been modified

The gpu has been running very loud and hot, often 85 degrees and above depending on how high I set the limit in afterburner

Other benchmarking software also said that the gpu runs less than average. UserBenchmark it’s running below potential at the 6th percentile compared to the rest

Any idea what could be the reason or if it’s worth keeping this gpu?
vusAz5w.png

The VBIOS has not been modified

The gpu has been running very loud and hot, often 85 degrees and above depending on how high I set the limit in afterburner

Other benchmarking software also said that the gpu runs less than average. UserBenchmark it’s running below potential at the 6th percentile compared to the rest

Any idea what could be the reason or if it’s worth keeping this gpu?
vusAz5w.png

If running at stock I would not expect it to hit 85c unless there is very poor airflow or a problem with the cooler such as needing the thermal past to be changed.

My experience is userbenchmark is the same, if you are not overclocking you will com out below average. My 3080 is the same. Overclockers hit the benchmark tools to measure their performance gains, this skews the averages.

Jul 14, 2022
If running at stock I would not expect it to hit 85c unless there is very poor airflow or a problem with the cooler such as needing the thermal past to be changed.

My experience is userbenchmark is the same, if you are not overclocking you will com out below average. My 3080 is the same. Overclockers hit the benchmark tools to measure their performance gains, this skews the averages.
I've replaced the thermal paste and there seems to be no dust in the fans so it can really only be the cooler design. I've tested with an open case and got similar temps.

After new drivers and undervolting I got 78 degrees max on FurMark but only a score of 6990 (116 fps) on 1080p. This time I didn't compare against the average but just a guy online with an i5 11400 so prob not an overclocker and he got 11598 (193 fps) which seems to be what most people get

Could it be not enough power from the psu or ram being too slow?

I think you have a lot more experience than me cause it's really my first time replacing a gpu, so what do you think I should do or check? Thanks