[SOLVED] Low 4G LTE speeds?

Sep 10, 2018
Hi everyone!

I have been testing my 4G+ Speed everyday, each time different hours to have a general image.

I have done 35 speedtests and the average download speed was 10.9mbps, upload around 3mbps. Most of the times however I get 5ish or so. It's just the occasional very high speeds (30-60mbps) that help increase the average.

Lowest I have got is 2.1mbps, highest 63mbps.

My question is, is it normal to have such speeds, for a 4G+? (5-10mbps)?

The signal strengh is almost full by the way.

Is there any chance COVID has affected this? (more people using data etc). Or is that not a possibility?

Last edited:
Solution
That is kinda the lie about the speeds any mobile broadband gets. It is very hit and miss what speeds you get. It is not just signal strength I suspect there are difference between how much capacity certain cell towers have.

This is though greatly affected by usage and I would expect usage to be much higher. This is even more true since cell providers have increased the data caps or removed them. The cell networks attempt to balance the load so everyone can get service but like many of these things it means everyone else gets less.

Where I used to live I could get very good rates when I was connected to a cell tower that was near a large highway. During rush hour the cell provider would force me to a tower that was further...
That is kinda the lie about the speeds any mobile broadband gets. It is very hit and miss what speeds you get. It is not just signal strength I suspect there are difference between how much capacity certain cell towers have.

This is though greatly affected by usage and I would expect usage to be much higher. This is even more true since cell providers have increased the data caps or removed them. The cell networks attempt to balance the load so everyone can get service but like many of these things it means everyone else gets less.

Where I used to live I could get very good rates when I was connected to a cell tower that was near a large highway. During rush hour the cell provider would force me to a tower that was further away and my speed would drop to less than 1/4 of what I could get connected to the large tower. Took a long time to figure this out until I got a app that showed the cell tower id I was using. Still didn't matter I had to suffer with poor service because they felt the users on the highway were more important.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Sep 10, 2018

Where I used to live I could get very good rates when I was connected to a cell tower that was near a large highway. During rush hour the cell provider would force me to a tower that was further away and my speed would drop to less than 1/4 of what I could get connected to the large tower. Took a long time to figure this out until I got a app that showed the cell tower id I was using. Still didn't matter I had to suffer with poor service because they felt the users on the highway were more important.

Is there a way to make it stable? Thing is, the lowest I have got it 1.8mbps (!), and the highest 63mbps. Same place, exact same spot etc..

Why is this happening? I checked the speed now twice, first time I got 2mbps, second 5mbps. Extremely bad speeds. Earlier this morning I got around 25-30, significantly better.

No way to say you can't really tell if you have issues with your signal to the tower or if your signal gets to the tower fine and the problem is with the load on the tower. When you are mobile you try to find a better tower but when you are in your house there is not much you can do. There is nothing you can really change other than your location. Maybe sit by a different window.

Sep 10, 2018
No way to say you can't really tell if you have issues with your signal to the tower or if your signal gets to the tower fine and the problem is with the load on the tower. When you are mobile you try to find a better tower but when you are in your house there is not much you can do. There is nothing you can really change other than your location. Maybe sit by a different window.

I see. Reason asking is because soon I will get a Hybrid Access router (HA35 by Huawei) which basically uses data + ADSL connection. Basically a speed booster. So what I am trying to figure is whether I will have the same speeds as I have with my mobile phone or not. Hopefully better, but not sure.

I can't see how that can work it still suffers from the same issue as any other dual wan router. Your 2 connections have different IP addresses. This means a single session can not use both to say improve the download speed. It also makes things very tricky if the traffic is just randomly sent over the 2. The example I always use is say you have a game and you log into the authentication server on 1 ip and you attempt to access the world servers on the second IP. The game will think you are hacking and kick you. This is true for many things, even google will decide it does not like you and put up captcha "are you a bot" stuff constantly.

Sep 10, 2018
All I know is that it uses both ADSL and data to reach better speeds. Our provider here offers it and many have it and are very satisfied.

A friend of mine had disgustingly bad speeds, around 5mbps down, and with the help of that he now reaches 50mbps.

I guess I will see how it goes. That's the only solution anyway. My download is 1.6mbps right now ADSL, and that's because I live a bit far away from DSLAM. My attenuation is around 60 so you can imagine. No vdsl/FTTH here for now.

You can read more info here if interested: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1166582/Huawei-Ha35.html?page=6#manual

You can believe what you like but I can guarantee you will never see thing like the speedtest numbers use the combined bandwidth. It will either use the ADSL or the 4g. This is one of those technical things that no matter how much someone believes something does not make it true.

TRENDING THREADS