[SOLVED] Low clock = Low temps and same fps?

Jul 10, 2020
Hello, my pc is running a ryzen 5 3600 and when it is playing a game, the temps is around 65-75C with max fan speed. In my country the temps is mostly 30-35C, so it might make sense to get that CPU temps while gaming. Little story, i wanted to watch some videos a day, not playing games, and i tried changing the power plan to Power Saving. The other day, when I play games, I'm shocked that my cpu is at 50C with 2.2ghz and i'm confused too that my fps didn't drop. I was playing R6S with 120fps and didn't see a single framedrop. So i remembered that I changed the power plan, so i changed it to balanced (4.0ghz), and its running hotter (70C) with the same fps. So my question is, Is it good for my CPU that is running at lower clock considering it has the same fps on 2.2ghz and 4ghz? Is it bad for my cpu?

cpu; amd ryzen 5 3600
gpu: rtx 2060
ram: 16gigs

Thank you for reading this and I hope my question will be answered

Solution
Hello, my pc is running a ryzen 5 3600 and when it is playing a game, the temps is around 65-75C with max fan speed. In my country the temps is mostly 30-35C, so it might make sense to get that CPU temps while gaming. Little story, i wanted to watch some videos a day, not playing games, and i tried changing the power plan to Power Saving. The other day, when I play games, I'm shocked that my cpu is at 50C with 2.2ghz and i'm confused too that my fps didn't drop. I was playing R6S with 120fps and didn't see a single framedrop. So i remembered that I changed the power plan, so i changed it to balanced (4.0ghz), and its running hotter (70C) with the same fps. So my question is, Is it good for my CPU that is running at lower clock...
Hello, my pc is running a ryzen 5 3600 and when it is playing a game, the temps is around 65-75C with max fan speed. In my country the temps is mostly 30-35C, so it might make sense to get that CPU temps while gaming. Little story, i wanted to watch some videos a day, not playing games, and i tried changing the power plan to Power Saving. The other day, when I play games, I'm shocked that my cpu is at 50C with 2.2ghz and i'm confused too that my fps didn't drop. I was playing R6S with 120fps and didn't see a single framedrop. So i remembered that I changed the power plan, so i changed it to balanced (4.0ghz), and its running hotter (70C) with the same fps. So my question is, Is it good for my CPU that is running at lower clock considering it has the same fps on 2.2ghz and 4ghz? Is it bad for my cpu?

cpu; amd ryzen 5 3600
gpu: rtx 2060
ram: 16gigs

Thank you for reading this and I hope my question will be answered
Welcome to Toms Hardware @miralami!
Firstly, I don't understand why you are concerned. Up to 75c at full load isn't bad at all, its normal especially for the Ryzen 5 3600. Also a misconception, the power plan on windows is useless on pc's as it is mostly for laptops so they save power and battery life so doing that wont change a thing. However if you are concerned about the temperatures, which you really shouldn't be, I would not turn down the clock speed. It is running at 2.2ghz because the other 1.8ghz is used for other processes. Its basically a cycle of time of calculations every second. And instead of underclocking, buy a better cooler and re-apply thermal paste. So no, I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. If your body was 70c then I would be concerned, because we can't endure temps. Parts can. A laptop can run at 100c. So no, your computer is performing fine, and I would start to take notice if your CPU was at 80c at full load. Hope this helps!

Solution

nooneisback

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
R6S is not really CPU intensive, so that answers your question no FPS change. What you should note is that the power saver plan decreases the CPU speed, which means a higher GPU bottleneck. R6S is well optimized, but will still cause microstutters when the CPU can't handle the GPU during CPU intensive moments like large amounts of walls being blown up. Decrease it further and you'll notice the FPS going all over the place.

75C is nothing, especially since you probably have the stock cooler. I ran most of my CPUs at 90C without any issues, but don't recommend doing so yourself.

Jul 10, 2020
Welcome to Toms Hardware @miralami!
Firstly, I don't understand why you are concerned. Up to 75c at full load isn't bad at all, its normal especially for the Ryzen 5 3600. Also a misconception, the power plan on windows is useless on pc's as it is mostly for laptops so they save power and battery life so doing that wont change a thing. However if you are concerned about the temperatures, which you really shouldn't be, I would not turn down the clock speed. It is running at 2.2ghz because the other 1.8ghz is used for other processes. Its basically a cycle of time of calculations every second. And instead of underclocking, buy a better cooler and re-apply thermal paste. So no, I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. If your body was 70c then I would be concerned, because we can't endure temps. Parts can. A laptop can run at 100c. So no, your computer is performing fine, and I would start to take notice if your CPU was at 80c at full load. Hope this helps!
Thanks for your answer!

Jul 10, 2020
R6S is not really CPU intensive, so that answers your question no FPS change. What you should note is that the power saver plan decreases the CPU speed, which means a higher GPU bottleneck. R6S is well optimized, but will still cause microstutters when the CPU can't handle the GPU during CPU intensive moments like large amounts of walls being blown up. Decrease it further and you'll notice the FPS going all over the place.

75C is nothing, especially since you probably have the stock cooler. I ran most of my CPUs at 90C without any issues, but don't recommend doing so yourself.
Yeah, i ran some microstutters while playing the game with 2,2ghz cpu and maybe you said its true, it creates a bottleneck to the gpu. And, you're running 90C? I've been to that number once when I'm rendering, and it made me turn down the quality of my scene. Going to 90C really kills the cpu lifetime span right?

Yeah, i ran some microstutters while playing the game with 2,2ghz cpu and maybe you said its true, it creates a bottleneck to the gpu. And, you're running 90C? I've been to that number once when I'm rendering, and it made me turn down the quality of my scene. Going to 90C really kills the cpu lifetime span right?
Are you using the stock cooler that came with the CPU? Getting a120mm tower cooler would be a good investment if you want to lower temperatures without sacrificing render quality or increasing render time because you made the CPU slower.

They're not the best 120mm tower coolers, but for their low prices, the Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 or the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo are very good starting options to lower temps by around 10-15c over the stock cooler. The Hyper 212 Black Edition has a better mounting method than the Evo and the Black Edition RGB has a faster fan.