Question Low CPU and GPU usage in almost every game - low fps and stutters

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
Hello,

I've had my current pc setup for a while and since I got the new GPU (about 3 years ago) my games have been running very poorly.

First to start of with my specs:
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Little overclock)
- Nvidia 2070 super
- 32GB DDR4 RAM (16GB of Hyperx Fury and 16GB of Corsair Vengaence, both 3200mhz)
- 970 PRO NVME SSD
- Seasonic 650 Watt GOLD psu
- Msi b450m pro-vdh max (Bios dated 20-10-2023)

I notice that almost every game I own and played runs very poorly. I get multiple small stutters en always have low FPS, but the weird thing is, both my CPU and GPU are always at low usage, as if they just don't want to function fully. Most of the time the usage for both is only 20%-40% in all games. Even simple games like Minecraft with low settings.

The only game where this (almost) doesn't occur is Warthunder, here I have Anti-aliasing fully off, and my GPU usage sits around 60-70%, with high FPS.

Also in benchmarks my GPU and CPU work flawless, without a problem, also at high usage and high scores/fps.

I've tried every simple/basic thing;
- Resetting PC
- Updating drivers (GPU/Bios, etc)
- Trying to change some 3D settings in
- Changing Power plans
- Updating PC
- Resetting GPU drivers
- Changing a lot of settings in games

Sometimes I have a feeling Antialiasing is causing this a little bit, because in Warthunder, if I turn it off it runs (almost) smoothly, but weird that if I try that in other games, I don't get the same result.

Have been trying to figure this out since I got my GPU upgraded.

BTW, my GPU also has a small coil whine if it uses 3D based graphics (in games and in benchmarks).

If anyone has any idea on how to maybe fix it, please let me know, I've been searching for a long time, but no solutions.

- Overclocked the CPU after it started
- Got a new gold psu after it started

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
650 Watt GOLD psu
650 is the advertised wattage of the unit, while gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. What is the make and model of the unit? How old is the unit? 3 years?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard. Include that alongside your motherboard BIOS version.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
650 Watt GOLD psu
650 is the advertised wattage of the unit, while gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. What is the make and model of the unit? How old is the unit? 3 years?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard. Include that alongside your motherboard BIOS version.
Updated the list, thanks for the reply. Don't know the exact PSU, but I bought it after it already was happening.