Question Low CPU and GPU usage whilst gaming but still having around 40-60fps?

Jan 3, 2022
I am currently running a ryzen 5 2600 with a gtx 1660 and 16gb of ddr4 ram (3200mhz). I currently play rust and when I am playing I will look at my task manager and usage of both the cpu and gpu is staggering at 40-50 percent and it really infuriates me because the game is unplayable at 40 fps and if my gpu and cpu was utilised more then I could easily reach 60fps locked. Why is this happening? I cannot find the cause and I've recently updated most of my drivers, if not all.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version? OS version(if on Windows 10)? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What sort of titles are you taxing the system with? You could try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site. When reinstalling drivers make sure you install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

First make sure your BIOS is up to date, then check to see your OS is up to date, then make sure the drivers are up to date, then see if the games you're working with have any patches pending.

On a side note, which slots are the sticks of ram populating on the motherboard?

Jan 3, 2022
I have an Asrock b450m pro4 for my motherboard and I'm not sure how I would check the bios. I am running windows 10 pro Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042 but I have these updates available ( View: https://imgur.com/FsIVu4b
) and my PSU would be around 2 years old (It is a 500 watt psu but I don't know exactly which one). I mainly play Rust and I see no issue with Apex Legends.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022
My ram slots populate A2 and B2 and I assume that is in dual channel mode. I looked at the motherboards website for bios updates and it noted under the newer releases to avoid downloading the bios if running a pinnacle, summit or raven ridge system which categorises the cpu I'm using. Rust doesn't have any patches available and with the drivers, I think I updated all of them but with my reply above, you can see that there are 3 updates available but I'm not sure what they would be for.

You can check your bios level by running cpu-Z.
While you are at it, run the cpu-z bench test and look at the single thread performance number.
You should get a number like 475.
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/kgc6vd

If your rust game is single threaded like I think it is, the task manager cpu % will be misleading.
You have 12 threads and the activity of a single saturated thread will be spread out among all of the available threads.

Jan 3, 2022
i got a ryzen 5 2600 and 1650 super and im having the exact same problem after coming off a r3 2200g with 4gb rx 580 i was getting 60-70fps now i have this pc with 16gb ram i only get 20-30fps

From my CPU-Z bench I got a 390 on single-thread and 3000 on multi-thread. Not good?
I don't think it is all bad,.
Many running the cpu-Z bench will be using faster ram than you. ryzen responds to faster ram. Perhaps 3600 speed.
Some may also be overclocking.
Still, many games depend on the performance of a single master thread.

A2 and B2 seem like the proper slots; your motherboard manual should verify that.
Also, cpu-Z on the memory tab should say dual channel operation and also what speed and timings you are running at. 3200 speed is as good as you can do on your motherboard and cpu.

Check the rust forums, there may be some settings that can help.

Jan 3, 2022
I ended up getting 3200 mhz ram because I didn't want to get a new motherboard and reroute everything; I just don't have the time for it. In CPU-Z it displayed that my ram was running in dual channel mode. I've gone through rust forums plenty of times and I am really stumped on what to do.

Jan 3, 2022
I don't think it is all bad,.
Many running the cpu-Z bench will be using faster ram than you. ryzen responds to faster ram. Perhaps 3600 speed.
Some may also be overclocking.
Still, many games depend on the performance of a single master thread.

A2 and B2 seem like the proper slots; your motherboard manual should verify that.
Also, cpu-Z on the memory tab should say dual channel operation and also what speed and timings you are running at. 3200 speed is as good as you can do on your motherboard and cpu.

Check the rust forums, there may be some settings that can help.
I also just took a dive into some servers with high demanding areas and low demanding areas. I get roughly 70 percent thread usage when I am in those areas (this was seen through msi afterburner) and 60 ish percent thread usage in low demanding areas. Nonetheless my fps drops in high demanding areas, sometimes reaching 50 and in the low demanding areas my fps is 60 ish. It just doesn't seem that my computer wants to utilise my processor or I am missing something, not too sure.