[SOLVED] Low cpu and low gpu usage please help

Dec 17, 2020
(The issue)
So in some games (example): valorant, fortnite and gta I get good fps or at least I should like how in fortnite when I turn quality down with my gtx 980 I get like 100fps-150fps with only 50-70 gpu usage and only about 50-80 cpu usage when I look at the highest usage core. So what im wondering is what the heck is causing this because I did so much research and I cant figure out how to fix my problem.

(more info)
I have 16gb of ram never see it go to 12 when playing games with other windows and tabs open

I have a gtx 980 blower style fan

I have a ryzen 1600

I currently have updated drivers

I run almost all my games on hard drive

I have ram running in daul channel 2400

(what ive tried)

I have used msi kumbuster synthetic tester and when doing that I do get 100% usage so that eliminates thermal throttling

I have done cpu tester,mem tester all of these show my compontants to be working fine.

I undid any overclocking profiles, I disable shadow play instant replay, ajusted power setting to maxuim performance in windows and nvida control panel

(What I want from this)

I really hope anyone has ANY new things for me to do to further diagnose or fix my problems or any suggestions to at all reduce the effect of my problems

Solution
Upgrade your RAM to 2 x 8 GB sticks of 3600 MHz RAM and be sure to enable XMP in order to run your RAM at the fastest speeds your CPU will allow. This RAM will remove your RAM speed bottleneck and also future-proof your RAM to run at the speeds ideal for the CPU you'll upgrade to in the future.

When you do upgrade your CPU, a Ryzen 5600x is what you want. If your motherboard isn't compatible with it and you can't afford a B550 motherboard, a Ryzen 3600x will still be a large improvement over your current Ryzen 1600.
(The issue)
So in some games (example): valorant, fortnite and gta I get good fps or at least I should like how in fortnite when I turn quality down with my gtx 980 I get like 100fps-150fps with only 50-70 gpu usage and only about 50-80 cpu usage when I look at the highest usage core. So what im wondering is what the heck is causing this because I did so much research and I cant figure out how to fix my problem.

(more info)
I have 16gb of ram never see it go to 12 when playing games with other windows and tabs open

I have a gtx 980 blower style fan

I have a ryzen 1600

I currently have updated drivers

I run almost all my games on hard drive

I have ram running in daul channel 2400

(what ive tried)

I have used msi kumbuster synthetic tester and when doing that I do get 100% usage so that eliminates thermal throttling

I have done cpu tester,mem tester all of these show my compontants to be working fine.

I undid any overclocking profiles, I disable shadow play instant replay, ajusted power setting to maxuim performance in windows and nvida control panel

(What I want from this)

I really hope anyone has ANY new things for me to do to further diagnose or fix my problems or any suggestions to at all reduce the effect of my problems

The fact that your GPU is being underutilized shows that your CPU or your RAM is holding you back. In your case, I believe both are contributing factors.

CPU: The Ryzen 1600 might have been a good value CPU in its day, but its low clock speeds and low IPC really hold it back in high fps gaming. FYI, you can be CPU bottlenecked even if none of your threads are maxing out at 100%. A Ryzen 3600 would be a large improvement although a Ryzen 5600 would be a much better option than even the Ryzen 3600.

RAM: 2400 MHz RAM is slow for a Ryzen CPU; it holds back how quickly data is passed over the infinity fabric, slowing down your already slow CPU even further.

Not convinced? Let me explain the rendering pipeline for you:

When you play a game, your CPU requests data from your hard drive/RAM and renders certain parts of a frame. It then sends the pre-rendered frame to the GPU so that the GPU can do the portion of the frame rendering that it is responsible for which is then displayed on your screen. Thus, if your CPU/RAM isn't fast enough, certain types of games will overwhelm your CPU, causing your GPU to be underutilized because it can't begin rendering a frame until it receives it from the CPU.

Dec 17, 2020
Oh I thought it was only a cpu bottle neck if it was maxed out but that makes sense, so what do you think I should upgrade first my ram or my cpu and how should I get rid of my first one? also I defitily will wait on upgrading my cpu not now as the prices have sky rocketed like my cpu is worth 150 dollars right now but when I bought it like almost two years ago I got it for cheaper. So I think I should upgrade my ram first but what do you think?

Upgrade your RAM to 2 x 8 GB sticks of 3600 MHz RAM and be sure to enable XMP in order to run your RAM at the fastest speeds your CPU will allow. This RAM will remove your RAM speed bottleneck and also future-proof your RAM to run at the speeds ideal for the CPU you'll upgrade to in the future.

When you do upgrade your CPU, a Ryzen 5600x is what you want. If your motherboard isn't compatible with it and you can't afford a B550 motherboard, a Ryzen 3600x will still be a large improvement over your current Ryzen 1600.

Solution
Dec 17, 2020

okay thanks for the info got some christmas money and could only get 2x8 3200 but It should help alot i think