Question Low CPU + GPU usage every 10-15 seconds in games causes massive stutter

May 18, 2023
Hi, my friends PC has been plagued by this issue for a while now, ive tried multiple things but ran out of ideas.

Specs
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU - Asus ROG Strix 1070 Gaming OC
RAM - 16gb 3600mhz Corsair Vengence
MB - Gigabyte B450M gaming
PSU - 750W 80+ Bronze EVGA
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

So the problem only happens on certain games, ones we know of are Elden Ring, Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, Chivalry 2, Battlefield 2042. Other big/heavy games such as call of duty, rust, apex legends, overwatch run absolutely fine no issues anywhere. With a bunch of info being shown by Riva Tuner + Afterburner, on Elden Ring, I noticed that his GPU + CPU will both drop from an average of 60% and 35% down to 2% and 17% right when the lag happens.

Things I have tried/checked

Replaced RAM. Used to have a single 8gb 3200mhz stick, replaced with above kit.
Upgrade/Update windows. Have done a fresh reset of Windows 10, and then ended up upgrading to Windows 11
Reinstall/Update GPU drives with DDU.
Update BIOS. Currently running on f63e
Enabling/Disabling Game Mode
Setting high performance powerplan + prefer maximum performance
XMP on/off
Checked temps (all were fine)
Setting and resetting page file sizes

Things I dont think it can be

Drives, tried copying game from one drive to another, same issue on both.
Windows, due to the fresh install + upgrade
Ram - Fully replaced, XMP off/on

Any help is much appreciated.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...cTo-f_-AhV2TEEAHW7DAYoQ9aACKAB6BAgCEA8&adurl=

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hi, my friends PC has been plagued by this issue for a while now, ive tried multiple things but ran out of ideas.

Specs
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU - Asus ROG Strix 1070 Gaming OC
RAM - 16gb 3600mhz Corsair Vengence
MB - Gigabyte B450M gaming
PSU - 750W 80+ Bronze EVGA
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

So the problem only happens on certain games, ones we know of are Elden Ring, Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, Chivalry 2, Battlefield 2042. Other big/heavy games such as call of duty, rust, apex legends, overwatch run absolutely fine no issues anywhere. With a bunch of info being shown by Riva Tuner + Afterburner, on Elden Ring, I noticed that his GPU + CPU will both drop from an average of 60% and 35% down to 2% and 17% right when the lag happens.

Things I have tried/checked

Replaced RAM. Used to have a single 8gb 3200mhz stick, replaced with above kit.
Upgrade/Update windows. Have done a fresh reset of Windows 10, and then ended up upgrading to Windows 11
Reinstall/Update GPU drives with DDU.
Update BIOS. Currently running on f63e
Enabling/Disabling Game Mode
Setting high performance powerplan + prefer maximum performance
XMP on/off
Checked temps (all were fine)
Setting and resetting page file sizes

Things I dont think it can be

Drives, tried copying game from one drive to another, same issue on both.
Windows, due to the fresh install + upgrade
Ram - Fully replaced, XMP off/on

Any help is much appreciated.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...cTo-f_-AhV2TEEAHW7DAYoQ9aACKAB6BAgCEA8&adurl=
I'm not into gaming at all, but the fact that the problem only occurs on certain games, leads me to think of software problem. Do you see any big changes in processes in performance manager at the time the problem occurs?