Question Low CPU speed while gaming.

May 26, 2019
Hello guys,

Just joined this forum because I am frustrated with my system. I'm going to list my CPU and GPU below before I get into the problem.
I am currently running:
i5 - 4690K (Cooler Stock)
GTX 960.
So, the problem that I've been having is that whenever I play games such as BF4, APEX, Fortnite, etc my CPU speed drops significantly. I have checked the temp's and its not that bad (ranging between 50 - 60C while gaming and 40 while idle). I'm going to post some screenshots below of my CPU data and maybe someone can help me fix it or eventually I will need to upgrade.

This is Idle with no games running:
View: https://imgur.com/a/W0kXDqk

This is with BF4 running:
View: https://imgur.com/a/N9dMJUw

This started 3-4 days ago. I wasn't having these problems before. I even lowered my settings and res and I cant push past 60 fps with the lowest resolutions and settings.

May 26, 2019
Hello @1LiquidPC, thanks for replying. I've tried running BF5, PUBG, FIFA, etc and they seem to be running fine (60FPS). Any other applications that i run are fine as well. I think its just with BF4.
I don't recall messing around with system settings. Everything is set to default. I've also recently cleaned my system including the fans and stuff. Should I purchase some thermal paste and then try running these games ?
Lastly, is there an app to check core temp and pkg temp ? I''ll run through it and post screenshots.

Given the updated info, seems like a BF4 issue. A repair/reinstall of BF4? Coretemp or Realtemp can work. HWinfo64 shows info on just about everything. Seems unlikely to be thermal related if other games and tasks run fine.

If it doesn't happen in BF5 and other games, I would think an issue occurred somehow with BF4. Outside of this specific issue, does your PC as-is suit your needs? If you are already on the fence for upgrades, Ryzen 3000 is imminent as is Navi in near future for consideration.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS