low cpu usage and low fps

wolfiebro

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Pc specs:

CPU: i5 4690k @4.4ghz
GPU: gtx 1080 fe
RAM: 16gb 1600mhz ddr3

So basically when i play certain games when it gets intensive in physics my frames drop a quite bit like to around 30fps or so. BUT my CPU is only at 50% and my GPU at 20-50% why am i not getting higher fps? thanks for answering.

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
1. temperatures get high, throttling your speed back. Run a few GPU and CPU stress tests and monitor the temperatures.
2. You might need a ram upgrade. Once your RAM gets full, data starts transferring from RAM to HDD, which makes your system run extremely slow at times. Close all unnecessary apps and as suggested, download the latest drivers.

MART3R

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
I doubt your RAM is the issue.

Tell your graphics card to run at full power:
To change this setting, with your mouse, right-click over the Windows desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel"
-> from the NVIDIA Control Panel, select the "Manage 3D settings" from the left column
-> click on the Power management mode drop down box and select "Prefer Maximum Performance"

You can also tell your cpu it is allowed to use full power by going into control panel under the Power Options.
*Both these tweaks are safe and are NOT overclocking*

If it still wont go above ~50% it is most likely because it is being bottlenecked by the CPU.

CPU Bottlenecks happen when the processor gets too hot and the built in safety precautions force it to run at a much lower usage than it could.

I definitely recommend you monitor your computers temperatures while you game to see if anything goes above 75c.
If your equipment is overheating, it is not only going to run very poorly but it is dangerous for your components.

Monitor it a while and if it is the case and your cpu goes above 75c; youll have to go through some steps to fix the problem.

A very good way to watch your temperatures is a program called; HWMonitor by CPUID

Hope this helps, good luck.

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

I can say that #2 is the exact scenario i experience in Just Cause 3. 4670K @4.6Ghz had dips to 30hz and just going from 8GB of RAM to 16GB of ram got me 45hz in those same situations. #2 from mbilal2's list is becoming more and more true as game engines become more modern. For me this isnt a reason to upgrade the platform, but the added RAM helped where a nice CPU OC was unable to make the difference.

wolfiebro

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
yes i will get a ram upgrade to 16gb but still when i play ram usage is barely touching 5gb and i got a new heatsink today and temps are max 68 degrees Celsius on the cpu and ond the gpu it's max 80 degrees celsius

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

May i ask which games as examples?

Also, in a situation where the RAM is limiting the data set, the event that causes the dip may not be measurable by the ram usage in task manager. For example in Just Cause 3, when i would start the game and check the RAM usage and everything was fine. I even watched it jump around in the 5-6 range without ever maxing out. But when the system actually goes into the bottle-necked scenario, it will create space on the RAM for the data while simultaneously filling that space up with the data it needs, then do the calculations, and continue rotating the data. So the RAM usage might not rise, but its still technically the RAM.
^just a bit of an explanation.

wolfiebro

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
i can't find where i can allow to use full power on the cpu. :( but the gpu goes a little higher now atleast.

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Your GPU is running really hot, It shouldn't go past 70. Most stress tests pust a 1050Ti to 68 max. You said it's running at 80C.... This also explains the bad frame drops.

Here's what's happening:

When your card is cold or at optimal temperature, your graphics card speed (clock speed) is pushed to the maximum to give you the best performance. Once the GPU is under load (playing games) and reaches a certain high temperature, the GPU speed is decreased automatically in steps, to allow your card to cool down resulting in bad fps during this period. Once your card cools down, the speed is pushed to the maximum again, and this process is repeated. This is managed by NVidia's GPU Boost Technology.

Since your GPU cooling is over heating, you get occasional bad performance. Once you turn the PC on after leaving it to cool down, you will get good performance again until it heats up again.

If your card is under warranty (Usually 3 years so it should be) I suggest you get it replaced and don't tamper with it. If for some reason, it's not under warranty, replace the thermal paste on the card (this will void your warranty). It could also be your PSU as it directly affect your rig's cooling. But your processor doesn't seem to be running too hot so it must be the GPU.

Hope this helped :)

wolfiebro

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
yes but that is when the card is pushed to 100% when i play games it's actually really not that hot i forgot to mention that sorry :) but might look into replacing thermal paste because it's a little to hot.

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
yes but that is when the card is pushed to 100% when i play games it's actually really not that hot i forgot to mention that sorry :) but might look into replacing thermal paste because it's a little to hot.
I recommend against it... That will void your warranty and if you have bigger issues in the future, you cant get it fixed from the manufacturer.. I suggest you send it back to Nvidia/Asus/MSI,etc

wolfiebro

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Ok :)

wolfiebro

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
about 40 to 70% on all 4 cores. Depending on game of course.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

Make sure Vsync is disabled and any other frame-rate limiting software.

wolfiebro

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
yes.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
I'm not sure the issue here, especially why the CPU + GPU aren't being fully used. They could be throttling but I doubt it at those temperatures (80°C is fine).

How long to these frame drops last for? Or is is consistent within certain areas of the game?

Also, are you able to provide a complete component list of your PC, please?

wolfiebro

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

i can get like 100+ fps but when it gets intensive in the game with alot of flying objects explsions or very high graphics the frames can drop to 30 for quite a while but cpu and gpu usage is still very low. and ram usage is only at 5gb max and i can't overclock much more because the vcore is very high

Pc specs:
CPU: intel i5 4690k @4.4ghz
GPU: gtx 1080 founders edition
RAM: 8gb 1600mhz
CPU COOLER: be quiet! pure rock
MOTHERBOARD: msi z97 pc mate
PSU: be quiet! 600w
Case: Cooler master HAF 912 plus

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

What storage device are you using? Though it likely won't be load stuttering as that is normally a very low FPS dip for a second.

Also which exact games does this issue occur in?

wolfiebro

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
well the game that it happens the most in is Beamng but it also occurs in The forest, Counter strike but not down to 30, and Fallout 4. and i use a 2tb hdd and my operating system is on a 250gb ssd

Dec 31, 2019
I had the exact same problem. If I went under Task Manager > Performance, I found that CPU usage would not go over 30%, and the Speed was clocked down to 0.78GHz.
At the bottom of the Performance tab there is a button to Open Resource Monitor. From here I found that Maximum Frequency was capped at 30%. (This should instead be showing at about 100%). This defines the maximum speed percentage which Windows will allow the CPU to run at.
Click for screenshot of Resource Monitor
I tried adjusting everything within Windows Battery and Performance settings that I found here and on other forums, but to no avail.
I finally found that I needed to prevent the "intelppm" service from starting (and subsequently malfunctioning), using the registry. This may especially be the case when slowness occurs on Laptops which are currently plugged in.
To do that:
  1. Simultaneously press the Windows image + R keys to open the 'Run' command box.
  2. In run command box, type regedit press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
  3. At the left pane, navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm
At the right pane:
-Double click the "Start" key.
-Modify the value data from '3' to '4'
-Click OK.
-Restart the PC
After that the CPU was no longer being clocked down to a low speed, and the Maximnum Frequnency under Resource Manager now shows as 100%.