Low Cpu usage but slow performance.

Alpha Nerd

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I have a 8 year old Dell XPS 720. I know at that age it will have issues. Right now it is running slow but the CPU usage only shows around 5-10% and RAM shows around 40%. those are both low percentages for this computer, but it still runs slow, espeacialy when opening programs and files. Now I know that the hard drive (1T western digital) is slow as hell. Could the hard drive be the issue?

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Dell XPS720
Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 932 GB
Disk partition (C:) 443 GB Free (932 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Total available graphics memory 3838 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2814 MB
Display adapter driver version 12.104.0.0
Secondary monitor resolution 1920x1080
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Solution
Hello... Your WEI scores are typical... The only time I realize my computer is slow, is when I have been on a faster one B ).
If you plan on keeping this computer, your next upgrade path is Going SSD... it is a fresh breath of performance, and I will not have a Computer without one...
But this could mean going through a OS/Program reload procedure, to get the Most from it.
What has changed?
My guess is that you have accumulated malware or possibly a virus.

I would not recommend any changes that can't be carried forward to a new build.
One possibility is to replace the hard drive with a SSD.
You should be able to clone your current system to a ssd and the performance improvement is magical.
Intel and Samsung have free clone utilities.

Alpha Nerd

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
The hard drive is slower than other hard drives I have used in the past, It has a WEI rating of 5.9 while every thing els has a 7.2-7.8 ratting. I have IObit malware protector and it showed no malware.

A SSD will be 7.9.
It is 50x faster than the fastest 10k hard drive in small random I/O. That is what the os does 90% of the time.
It will be 2x to 3x faster in sequential.

Why is your PC slower now??.
Possibly, your hard drive has accumulated a lot of relocated sectors because of errors.
Still, I would run a malwarebytes scan. No one app catches everything.

Hello... Your WEI scores are typical... The only time I realize my computer is slow, is when I have been on a faster one B ).
If you plan on keeping this computer, your next upgrade path is Going SSD... it is a fresh breath of performance, and I will not have a Computer without one...
But this could mean going through a OS/Program reload procedure, to get the Most from it.

Solution

Alpha Nerd

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Ya. I agree that I should get better storage. I will most likely get a faster HDD tho because I need at least a 1TB. And 1TB in a SSD is going to cost you a bundle.

mork250

Reputable
May 4, 2015
Hi Alpha Nerd, Hope you are well.
Not sure if you have already resolved your issue indicated above. However in case you have not yet done so, be advised that there is another cost effective option available to you by deploying a Hybrid Drive -> SSHD. These typically come with a built in 8GB SSD on a standard drive but provide a significant improvement in performance at almost the same cost as the normal HD. Some info available at the following link fyi:-

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/pc-upgrades/3520515/ssd-vs-sshd-solid-state-or-hybrid/

Cheers.

Alpha Nerd

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

I would love to go with a SSD but my only issue is that I normaly run around 600 gigs. Most SSDs right now are around 500 gigs. I would love to upgrade but I would like to wait a bit longer for them do advance until I upgrade.

Hello... I still have HD's in my computer for most Programs and Data storage... and just a few selected and the OS on my 240 gb SSD.
You will see a huge difference in speed and response with just the OS and your favorite program on the SSD... You don't need to load all your Data or Programs on it.