Question Low CPU usage during gaming

May 26, 2022
My rig is
i5-12600k (not overclocked)
rtx 3080
z690 asus prime p
ddr5 5200 mhz
750 w

Hi this problem had never really occurred until i downloaded warzone and noticed my gpu was at 90%+ but my cpu was at around 10 or 20, and i was not getting the frames that i shouldve been getting. Also for some reason this is only when i am playing games when im not gaming ive seen the cpu at 80-100% usage in other extensive uses. Now every game besides warzone runs fine but tonight i went into the bios and tweaked somethings and when i came to my desktop launched apex i had the same problem as warzone but now its all my games. my frames in all my games have reduced by 50-75% because of the low cpu usage. Now after that i realized i <Mod Edit> something up in the bios tried fixing it and my pc blue screened like 4 times until i just reset everything in the bios to default and didnt touch anything except xmp but that doesnt even matter cause memeroy frequency is capped at 4800 for 12th gen. [redacted] please help.

I also have upgraded to windows 11 and updated my bios and probllem still remains.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
750 w
That's the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the unit?

I also have upgraded to windows 11
Did you upgrade internally through Windows 10? If so, you're advised to reinstall your OS after recreating the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

May 26, 2022
750 w
That's the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the unit?

I also have upgraded to windows 11
Did you upgrade internally through Windows 10? If so, you're advised to reinstall your OS after recreating the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

it is an fully modular MSI 750 w gf gold+ I believe

I upgraded to windows 11 through windows 10. Does it matter that much to do it like that? I feel like I’ve done so many things of which none have worked and that probs won’t do it either

Lutfij

Titan
You actually need a higher wattage PSU for a build with that RTX3080 in there, to add, yes that's how you're supposed to go about with things pertaining to Windows 11...has been the same thing with Windows 10(when anyone upgraded internally from Windows 8.1), Windows 8(when anyone upgraded internally from Windows 7).

May 26, 2022
You actually need a higher wattage PSU for a build with that RTX3080 in there, to add, yes that's how you're supposed to go about with things pertaining to Windows 11...has been the same thing with Windows 10(when anyone upgraded internally from Windows 8.1), Windows 8(when anyone upgraded internally from Windows 7).

nah Nvidia recommends 750 w and I’ve seen on HWinfo my pc draws about 620-660 watts under full load and if that were the case I would’ve had problem a long time ago. 750 isn’t the best and my gpu is a special case it only takes 2 8 pins rather than 3 8 pins and it’s not as beefy and power hungry.

May 26, 2022
What resolution are you playing at? What fps are you getting?
1080p like I said pretty much most games with high graphics suffer from significant fps drop 50% at least. Where as I can run valorant fine but it takes so little to run that game that cpu being at 5% usage I still get 200 fps but forza 5 for example I used to run max settings average of 120-140 frames to now is 50.