Question Low cpu usage, 'jumpy' frequency and low framerates

Cristian_Maior

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
Hi! My system is:
CPU: Ryzen 2400g (3600mhz baseclock - 3800mhz boost. 65W)
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
RAM: G.Skill Flare X - 2X8Gb 3200mhz
Motherboard: Asus Prime a320m-k
PSU: Corsair cx600

My problem is the frequency of the cpu jumping from 3000mhz to 3750mhz very fast and low usage in some cases or in others, low usage, low clock speed or sometimes even high cpu usage (rarely) and low speed clock. All these things cause the GPU to run like 50% - 60% because the cpu rarely passes the 50%.
Also in benchmarks the cpu works perfect, max usage and frequency.

I just got my PSU and RAM replaced because of poor advice.

My temps are around 60c on gpu with custom fan curve and around 50-55c on the cpu while gaming. With such temperatures the throttling it's not possible, as far as I know. Also I have checked all possible 'power saving' modes in windows, nvidia, etc.

The only thing that comes on my mind would be the VRM. But if the CPU and MOBO are compatible, by Asus approval, how could it be possible?

Hi! My system is:
CPU: Ryzen 2400g (3600mhz baseclock - 3800mhz boost. 65W)
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
RAM: G.Skill Flare X - 2X8Gb 3200mhz
Motherboard: Asus Prime a320m-k
PSU: Corsair cx600

My problem is the frequency of the cpu jumping from 3000mhz to 3750mhz very fast and low usage in some cases or in others, low usage, low clock speed or sometimes even high cpu usage (rarely) and low speed clock. All these things cause the GPU to run like 50% - 60% because the cpu rarely passes the 50%.
Also in benchmarks the cpu works perfect, max usage and frequency.

I just got my PSU and RAM replaced because of poor advice.

My temps are around 60c on gpu with custom fan curve and around 50-55c on the cpu while gaming. With such temperatures the throttling it's not possible, as far as I know. Also I have checked all possible 'power saving' modes in windows, nvidia, etc.

The only thing that comes on my mind would be the VRM. But if the CPU and MOBO are compatible, by Asus approval, how could it be possible?

This is a bit complex so bear with me.

If you look at task manager and you see % utilization, it's based on all core use. So let's say it says 13% utilization and you have 8 cores. You might notice that all the cores bounce around in terms of usage. Well let's say it's a single threaded program that is running full tilt and that it's not pinned to one core. If you have 8 cores, and 1 process running at 100% that is 1/8 or 12% utilization. So you might indeed be running at full tilt even if you aren't seeing it. And just because a core is pegged at 100% doesn't mean it's actually doing work. Sometimes a processor core gets locked out as it waits for an external interrupt (like a disk, or memory returning data)

Also, as alluded to above, each core can be clocked differently based on it's load. As pre-emptive tasking gets swaps out a thread all the time, the same task might jump to different cores leading to odd MHz readings that look like they aren't spiking.

Now AMD's algorithms are opportunistic based on voltages, requested instructions (determines current use), and thermals. So it's rare for ANY processor to hang 100% at it's top rated peak speed. It's designed to lower power, noise, and prolong the life of the CPU. Think of it this way: Can you hit 186MPH in a Corvette C6 with 400HP? Yes. But you need perfect conditions to do so.

It's a very complex thing to look at and understand and can often confuse new users.

That said I can all core overclock my 2400g to 3.8Ghz no problem and it will stay there 24/7 with no issues with a mild voltage boost. But I had to use a beefy cooler and this does violate warranty.

Sadly your motherboard does not allow overclocking.

Cristian_Maior

Prominent
Aug 25, 2019
This is a bit complex so bear with me.

If you look at task manager and you see % utilization, it's based on all core use. So let's say it says 13% utilization and you have 8 cores. You might notice that all the cores bounce around in terms of usage. Well let's say it's a single threaded program that is running full tilt and that it's not pinned to one core. If you have 8 cores, and 1 process running at 100% that is 1/8 or 12% utilization. So you might indeed be running at full tilt even if you aren't seeing it. And just because a core is pegged at 100% doesn't mean it's actually doing work. Sometimes a processor core gets locked out as it waits for an external interrupt (like a disk, or memory returning data)

Also, as alluded to above, each core can be clocked differently based on it's load. As pre-emptive tasking gets swaps out a thread all the time, the same task might jump to different cores leading to odd MHz readings that look like they aren't spiking.

Now AMD's algorithms are opportunistic based on voltages, requested instructions (determines current use), and thermals. So it's rare for ANY processor to hang 100% at it's top rated peak speed. It's designed to lower power, noise, and prolong the life of the CPU. Think of it this way: Can you hit 186MPH in a Corvette C6 with 400HP? Yes. But you need perfect conditions to do so.

It's a very complex thing to look at and understand and can often confuse new users.

That said I can all core overclock my 2400g to 3.8Ghz no problem and it will stay there 24/7 with no issues with a mild voltage boost. But I had to use a beefy cooler and this does violate warranty.

Sadly your motherboard does not allow overclocking.

Thank you for your elaborate answer! I understand the idea behind it but I doubt I shouldn't be able to play GTA V smoothly with those specifications. That's why I came here because I don't know what the problem could be.