Aug 27, 2019
Here's just about what's happening: My upload and download speed are constantly 0.00 to 0.02 mb/s, usually stuff works fine, but when gaming after about 25 min or so my computer basically shuts down it's connection for awhile. Ping rises to anywhere from 800-2000, and most games just crash. I have been dealing with this for like 6 months now, so if your suggestion is a common problem that anyone could just google, I've probably already tried it. I've actually sent my PC in for repair/troubleshooting 3 times, I even had it re-imaged a few times. So, software shouldn't be the problem (and yes all drivers/windows updates are installed). Please help.

Solution
Here's just about what's happening: My upload and download speed are constantly 0.00 to 0.02 mb/s, usually stuff works fine, but when gaming after about 25 min or so my computer basically shuts down it's connection for awhile. Ping rises to anywhere from 800-2000, and most games just crash. I have been dealing with this for like 6 months now, so if your suggestion is a common problem that anyone could just google, I've probably already tried it. I've actually sent my PC in for repair/troubleshooting 3 times, I even had it re-imaged a few times. So, software shouldn't be the problem (and yes all drivers/windows updates are installed). Please help.

There's a lot of possible answer to that but let me give you the best of what I...

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

There's a lot of possible answer to that but let me give you the best of what I know based on my experience.

1) Your ISP throttles your connection. Most of the time, these ISPs market their internet as unlimited but deep within their terms and conditions there's a hidden statement stating that if you hit X number of data within a month, you will be reduced to X mbps. Not exactly the words but you;ll get my point. So be careful with internet service providers and check if they have some shady tactics alike. We call it "datacapping".. in short "plan". a shady overpriced "plan".

They can also throttle you when detected consuming a lot of data like torrenting, live streaming regularly, etc. ISP can sniff you, there's no such thing like privacy.

2) Firewall is blocking your connection. You should check the firewall and whitelist every possible stuff that you don't want blocked. I have this uTorrent, it downloads at lightning speed but one time there comes it dropped to almost zero. Firewall is the culprit.

3) ISP network traffic. Like roads, if there's too many commuters, it;ll be slow as hell. One of the reason why I'm not using my ISP's DNS.. Instead, I use Google Public DNS.

4) Wireless or Wired? You should be wired. Wireless relies on signal strength and you don't like it intermittent. You don't want gaming on a bad weather because of you are not using Fibr.

5) Poor ISP Service. You can see a lot of these ISPs from 3rd world countries scamming their consumers. Charge high, offers poor service. Charge fast, delivers slow. Commonly has frequent downtime and poor support.

6) Compromised wires. Check your line and see if somethings wrong. Most of the time, weather and human errors can cause disconnection without you being aware.

7) Multiple users in the same connection. How many devices are connected on your line? You might want to see unwanted people connecting on you without your permission or maybe there's too many phone connected visiting data heavy websites or apps like Youtube and Torrents.

8) VPN and proxies. If you're using some sort of tunneling or proxy service. Stop it. It slows down everything.

Most common but it's not really limited to these.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 27, 2019
There's a lot of possible answer to that but let me give you the best of what I know based on my experience.

1) Your ISP throttles your connection. Most of the time, these ISPs market their internet as unlimited but deep within their terms and conditions there's a hidden statement stating that if you hit X number of data within a month, you will be reduced to X mbps. Not exactly the words but you;ll get my point. So be careful with internet service providers and check if they have some shady tactics alike. We call it "datacapping".. in short "plan". a shady overpriced "plan".

They can also throttle you when detected consuming a lot of data like torrenting, live streaming regularly, etc. ISP can sniff you, there's no such thing like privacy.

2) Firewall is blocking your connection. You should check the firewall and whitelist every possible stuff that you don't want blocked. I have this uTorrent, it downloads at lightning speed but one time there comes it dropped to almost zero. Firewall is the culprit.

3) ISP network traffic. Like roads, if there's too many commuters, it;ll be slow as hell. One of the reason why I'm not using my ISP's DNS.. Instead, I use Google Public DNS.

4) Wireless or Wired? You should be wired. Wireless relies on signal strength and you don't like it intermittent. You don't want gaming on a bad weather because of you are not using Fibr.

5) Poor ISP Service. You can see a lot of these ISPs from 3rd world countries scamming their consumers. Charge high, offers poor service. Charge fast, delivers slow. Commonly has frequent downtime and poor support.

6) Compromised wires. Check your line and see if somethings wrong. Most of the time, weather and human errors can cause disconnection without you being aware.

7) Multiple users in the same connection. How many devices are connected on your line? You might want to see unwanted people connecting on you without your permission or maybe there's too many phone connected visiting data heavy websites or apps like Youtube and Torrents.

8) VPN and proxies. If you're using some sort of tunneling or proxy service. Stop it. It slows down everything.

Most common but it's not really limited to these.
TY I will look into these, actually I only see 2 that I have already tried, so this is super helpful

Edit: how reliable is google's public DNS and how do I use it?

Last edited: