News Low-End AMD RX 6300 Surfaces on Second-Hand Marketplace

The Radeon RX 6300's die comes with 12 enabled CUs, amounting to 768 streaming processors (SPs) and 12 Ray Tracing accelerators.

I doubt this entry-level card will sport full 12 CUs enabled on the die. While the exact core count is not yet confirmed, it is very likely that the AMD Radeon RX 6300 boasts either 640 or 512 stream processors, so that's within 10 or 8 Compute Units.

Since the RX 6400 is already having 768 streaming processors, the RX 6300 should sport a lower SP number, IMO.

Reactions: cyrusfox

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
2GB VRAM.
In 2023.
Seriously ?!

You're seriously going to try to haggle old chips to users AMD?

If you have old chips, give them away to a school for charity, don't scam unknowing buyers with this.

If AMD releases this crap, I will just call them scammers from now on.

Reactions: bit_user

InvalidError

Titan
Since the RX 6400 is already having 768 streaming processors, the RX 6300 should sport a lower SP number, IMO.
With half the memory size, half the memory bandwidth and half the clock frequency to afford almost not having a heatsink or VRM, the RX6300 is not even a remote threat to the RX6400 for anything beyond basic 2D output, no need to lobotomize it any further. This is basically a modern-day GT710.

Apr 1, 2020
I actually really like this idea. For years I lamented AMD not having a true successor to the HD 6400 for PCs which don't have decent (or any) integrated graphics yet need a GPU with some relative grunt for office tasks and even Google Earth, as well as something cheap someone can have on hand for an emergency card. My HD 5400, for example, served me well during a couple of RMA periods. After that AMD abandoned this market I thought they'd never return, but perhaps they are.

The problem is that it needs to be limited to about $60, and with it being pulled so quickly I doubt AMD would want it sold at that price.

Reactions: bit_user and KyaraM

DSzymborski

Titan
2GB VRAM.
In 2023.
Seriously ?!

If you have old chips, give them away to a school for charity, don't scam unknowing buyers with this.

How is this a scam? Not everyone on a Zen 3 platform needs a gaming GPU. This is a solution to substitute integrated graphics for someone who needs a 5900X or 5950X, has no interest in gaming, and wants something with modern driver support rather than hunting down a GT 710 or a Radeon 530. Having a lot of VRAM on a GPU like this is dumb. Who are you to decide that people who don't want to spend $150 on a budget gaming GPU shouldn't be able to get something cheaply because such a low-end product offends your sensibilities?

DSzymborski

Titan
How is this a scam? Not everyone on a Zen 3 platform needs a gaming GPU. This is a solution to substitute integrated graphics for someone who needs a 5900X or 5950X, has no interest in gaming, and wants something with modern driver support rather than hunting down a GT 710 or a Radeon 530. Having a lot of VRAM on a GPU like this is dumb. Who are you to decide that people who don't want to spend $150 on a budget gaming GPU shouldn't be able to get something cheaply because such a low-end product offends your sensibilities?

If anything, they've churned out too few cheap, low-end, crappy GPUs. There's a reason that the GT 710 and 730 have been a consistent sellers for nearly a decade now. People have a use for basic GPUs that don't cost much.

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I doubt this entry-level card will sport full 12 CUs enabled on the die. While the exact core count is not yet confirmed, it is very likely that the AMD Radeon RX 6300 boasts either 640 or 512 stream processors, so that's within 10 or 8 Compute Units.

Not necessarily, the mobile RX 6300M has the same CUs and SPs configuration of the RX 6400 and RX 6450M. It's just the memory configuration and TGPs that change.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
The missing H.264/H.265 encode and AV1 decode matter more than the low VRAM and performance, which are to be expected if new 6400/6500 are selling for 2-3x as much. Even with missing features someone might find this useful at $50-60. It's not necessarily useless for HTPC since you can use it for playback of already encoded content.

If we see an RDNA 3/4 follow-up to Navi 24, I hope it will have the full decode/encode capabilities and 6 GB of VRAM default for the top model.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
2GB VRAM.
In 2023.
Seriously ?!

Trying to find another reason to bash AMD are we? They're scamming no one. This is a GPU for multiple monitors and basic 2d workloads. The GT 710 and GT 730 from Nvidia were released for the same purpose.

Reactions: bit_user and P1nky
Mar 14, 2023
2GB VRAM.
In 2023.
Seriously ?!

Just remember to call nVidia even bigger scammers, for the T400 ;P With even less performance (and the same amount of VRAM), currently also optionally available for example for that named HP "Elite" Series 800 G9 PC.

(For others - that's of course a tongue in cheek response; I understand the logic of market-segmentation etc :p)

Reactions: AnendTech

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Actually, even a gamer could make use of such a GPU, such as secondary GPU for additional display.

And depending on the games played, 2 GB VRAM can be fine enough. I.e. CS:GO expects only 256 MB as minimum (albeit with DX9 compatibility and support for Pixel Shader 3.0), Cities: Skylines can be played with it (albeit a larger city may then come with some lag when moving the map view), and similar. Until a few years ago, I didn't have more than 2 GB myself, and it was good enough to smoothly play through e.g. Watch_Dogs with.

Performance of individual GPUs (with the same VRAM) may vary of course though. And when having at least partial interest in gaming, a GPU with 4 GB VRAM offers noticeably better performance. But just meaning to point out that with a question of: "Which GPU is good enough to be able to do some gaming with, as cheap as possible?", then 2 GB VRAM can cover pretty much everything released up to around 2015, and also many of the games released later (albeit not everything at maximum graphics settings nor at some 100+ fps).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
From the article:
The Navi 24 lacks video encoding capabilities, so it's useless in an HTPC.
As @usertests already pointed out, I don't see how lack of encoding is an issue for most HTPC uses.

Lack of AV1 decoding certainly could be a liability, at some point. Then again, software AV1 decoders have gotten so heavily-optimized that, depending on the CPU and how good/quiet your cooling is, that could still be a non-issue.

Reactions: usertests

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I actually really like this idea. For years I lamented AMD not having a true successor to the HD 6400 for PCs which don't have decent (or any) integrated graphics yet need a GPU with some relative grunt for office tasks and even Google Earth, as well as something cheap someone can have on hand for an emergency card. My HD 5400, for example, served me well during a couple of RMA periods.
Years ago, I relented and bought a RX 550 to replace my HD 5450. However, I really liked that the HD 5450 was fanless and its low idle power usage was great for server type machines that I mostly use remotely.

KyaraM

Admirable
Hmm. I think with better encoding options, this would be an amazing GPU for many, many use cases. Without it, though, it feels kinda superfluous except for fringe cases, especially considering that APUs exist and ever non-F Intel CPU has integrated graphics, too, that will be more than enough for ecery day office tasks.

healthy Pro-teen

Prominent
Jun 23, 2022
2GB VRAM.
In 2023.
Seriously ?!

AMD most probably won't release this "crap". They are just releasing them to OEM's that know the card is basically useless for gaming and a passive display adapter if U need more power than a GT1030 to drive 4K or 8K displays. If an OEM decides to release this into the wild, it's not AMD's fault.

logainofhades

Titan
2GB VRAM.
In 2023.
Seriously ?!

These weren't made for you, or any gamer. By your logic, Nvidia are scammers too, with their GT 710 and GT 730's.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
A good competitor to this is the nearly 10 year old Quadro k620 which does the same job for most and runs half the price used.
There is also the A310 which is hard to come by in the US that has a higher power draw, but has display capabilities that are top end for any gpu.
The easily obtained A380 still needs external power though.

None of these are gaming gpus btw.

InvalidError

Titan
The easily obtained A380 still needs external power though.

None of these are gaming gpus btw.
I'm still using a GTX1050 to play games and the A380 is a fair bit faster with 3X as much RAM. Sure, it won't be beating frame rate records, but it should be perfectly fine for less demanding titles. I thought of getting one out of curiosity, though the A750 is over 3X as fast for only 60% more money, which makes it a monstrously better deal. Only problem is I'm not sufficiently convinced about Intel's driver maturity to spend ~400CAN$ (inc. shipping and taxes) on an experiment.

Edit: Just looked at PCPPicker, most places have already dropped the A750's price another $15 to track the $10 drop in the USA. That was surprisingly quick.

Last edited: