Low-End Graphics card (GT 705) with sudden lag spikes in low-demand games: sudden click noise. Advice appreciated

Jul 19, 2018
Hello, I am new to this forum so I'd like to preface this message by saying I'm sorry for any glaring errors- I am not a tech expert by any means.

Now to start with the issue, I have recently gotten into playing a few games (Heroes of the Storm most notably) in my spare time. These games, from what I have heard, are not too graphically demanding. In 2017, I could play the game with 60+ FPS on medium setting. I am not too sure why but recently (2018) I have had to cap the frame rate of the game at 30 FPS and lower all settings down to low to prevent the GPU from overheating. Also, during this period, my GPU was reaching 95C. I cleaned the case out with compressed air but to no avail. Therefore, i had to 'underclock' the GPU to half its intended clock speed in MSI Afterburner to stop any potential thermal throttling. The temperatures now run at 68C in game, which I am fine with, but the issue now is the stuttering and hope to get some answers to.

My PC is a Dell prebuild and isn't the best in the world but its specs are:

• I5-4460
    8 GB RAM
    GT 705 GPU
    Seagate Desktop 1 TB Internal HDD
    310W PSU

With these specs in mind, the issue I am currently having is that the game will run smoothly until the graphics card makes an audible 'click' sound and then there is a sudden drop in FPS to 0 and back up to 30. The click does not always have to happen for a lag to occur but the click only occurs when the game lags (if that makes any sense??).
http://
As attached on the image, where the FB and GPU usage drops are is where the game stutters (and the GPU sometimes clicks). I do acknowledge that my GPU usage is really high and would have caused card degradation over the past year.

A way to test for this would be to swap another GPU in however the small wattage on my PSU has prohibited me from getting any 'tester' cards my friends have to check if the GPU is the issue. As a sidenote, I can't measure the voltage going through my card as both GPU-Z and MSI can't pick the voltage up.

So, and sorry for the long-winded question, would this be an issue that my GPU is just plain bad and I should invest in a new one (if so, recommendations would be appreciated). Or, is there another cause for this that I just haven't monitored yet?

Thanks for your time!

Solution
Well the GT705 isn't really for games. And game performance will change as patches and updates come out. So typically things will get slower over time. You have a good foundation though with the i5 and memory.

So you cleaned the GPU. Did you try disassembling it? The thermal compound under the GPU heatsink may have just failed. Some of the more simple coolers for GPUs have a tendency to warp over time(heating and cooling cycles), causing them to lose contact with the GPU die. It could just be a matter of unscrewing the heatsink, cleaning the old compound and replacing it.

However, if you are seriously going to get into gaming you should be looking at a better GPU and power supply. Maybe even consider ditching the Dell. If you still...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well the GT705 isn't really for games. And game performance will change as patches and updates come out. So typically things will get slower over time. You have a good foundation though with the i5 and memory.

So you cleaned the GPU. Did you try disassembling it? The thermal compound under the GPU heatsink may have just failed. Some of the more simple coolers for GPUs have a tendency to warp over time(heating and cooling cycles), causing them to lose contact with the GPU die. It could just be a matter of unscrewing the heatsink, cleaning the old compound and replacing it.

However, if you are seriously going to get into gaming you should be looking at a better GPU and power supply. Maybe even consider ditching the Dell. If you still want to stay on a budget you can consider a GT1030. That would be much much faster than the 705. Be sure to get the model that has GDDR5, not the new DDR4 models (nearly half the performance from the slower memory)

Gaming puts a fairly heavy long duration load on your components. OEM power supplies tend to be built around the concept of just running the CPU and its onboard graphics. Gaming on it can lead to premature failure.

Solution
Jul 19, 2018

Ah, yea, I held out on taking apart the graphics card in case I would make a bigger problem in opening it. How hard, would you say, opening a GPU is and what thermal pastes would you recommend in getting? Also, how would one wipe of the existing thermal paste?

And secondly, yea, I am reluctant in upgrading my current PC due to the work it'll need doing to basically build it from the ground up. That's not to mention that I was thinking the next gen Nvidia cards would come out soon (but this doesn't look as promising now). This thread has taken a different turn, but would you recommend upgrading (to the 1030 as you say) for now and hold off until the new architectures launch for Nvidia etc or just build a new rig asap? I am going to Uni next year so was trying to hold out until then to get up and started. Thanks Eximo, appreciate it :D

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
New architecture launches won't help you unless you have money to spend. 80 model cards typically launch first. Expect an $700-800 release price if not more. A month after that AIB partner cards at around $650. 70 model cards a few weeks later, I suspect this will be up in price at $400+. No need to compete with existing 1070/1070Ti stock. A few months later for the 60 models. In other words you will be waiting a long time for a budget card.

On small GPUs it is likely to be 4 small screws and nothing else. Maybe unplugging a fan, if it has one. Arctic MX-4 is a common all purpose thermal compound that isn't too expensive, but really any thermal compound will do. The bulk of thermal compound can be removed with a lint free material. Coffee filters are a common household item that is ideal. Heavy duty paper towels, cotton swabs will also work. Then a little isopropyl alcohol to get the small stuff.

Only you can decide if building a new computer is appropriate. There will always be something new coming out. If you have an immediate need, make an immediate purchase.

Jul 19, 2018

Alright, thanks for your time Eximo :wahoo:

TRENDING THREADS