Low end upgrade path

Greemhold

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Hi there. I'm in a bit of a delema here. I am on lga 775 with a Q9550 with DDR2. I need to upgrade. I allready have a r9 270 gpu , a fair 650 WAT psu and a low end mATX case. My budget is arrownd 300 euros, so my quastions are these ; Should i go for a pentium or an athlon? will i see the deferance in such a low end CPU's? keep in mind that i have to get a ssd and new ram 8gb in this price range. Thanks in advance.

P.S. i know pentium performs better but i have in mind directX12 comming up witch sould give athlon later the upper hand couse of the 2 aditional cores.

davidarad02

Admirable
if you want the better performance now, the pentium is the way to go, but if you want your system to be up to date, and still running games, even a few years down the line, the athlon 860k is better, as more and more games need a quad core to even run (take a look at the minimum requirements of games like GTA V, battlefield hardline, the witcher 3 ect.)

Neutr1n0

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
your budget is too tight... You can maybe opt to buy a G3258 unlocked dual core (80$) with a decent budget Z97 mobo (140$) and 2x4GB DDR3 1600 (like G.Skill's Sniper SR2: 85$) and upgrade CPU later.

With gaming in mind, ideally you should go for i5 4460 or 4690K. You could also consider an i3 dual core with hyper treading, but an overclocked G3258 would certainly challenge that one.

I would really forget about athlon. It's really ancient... FX6300 could be an option but I certainly wouldn't go that way. With intel 1150 you have way more/better upgrade possibilities.

Greemhold

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
thanks m8s but the more i serch the more i see that i need at least an i5 to call it an upgrade. Neither of these cpus gives me the needed horse-power but it seems like i will go with the pentium so i can upgrade in the future.